Rifles That Kill From A Mile Away
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifles That Kill From A Mile Away

Rifles That Kill From A Mile Away

Hmm, thought we already had this sniper capability:

Pirates Beware: Soon Rifles That Kill from a Mile Away - TIME

No kidding. I guess they are letting the world know. even though we now have the capability to shoot up to a mile and a half. I guess they will let us know about that later.
    Andrew

I just want to have the land to practice shooting 1/2 a mile away.

Article sounds like a put down, "The three Navy SEAL snipers who killed the pirates off the coast of Somalia last weekend were lucky the buccaneers were gullible enough to allow their lifeboat to be towed farther out to sea by the U.S.S. Bainbridge. The shortened towline turned what could have been a trio of difficult shots across hundreds of yards of ocean into relatively easy 30-yd. pops. It's a safe bet future pirates won't be so naive. "

Don't know who would call moving targets and shooters on the open seas as "relatively easy 30-yd pops." with one shot one kill. Maybe the author thinks we are all Navy Seals?

5. Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
    I just want to have the land to practice shooting 1/2 a mile away.

Article sounds like a put down, "The three Navy SEAL snipers who killed the pirates off the coast of Somalia last weekend were lucky the buccaneers were gullible enough to allow their lifeboat to be towed farther out to sea by the U.S.S. Bainbridge. The shortened towline turned what could have been a trio of difficult shots across hundreds of yards of ocean into relatively easy 30-yd. pops. It's a safe bet future pirates won't be so naive. "

Don't know who would call moving targets and shooters on the open seas as "relatively easy 30-yd pops." with one shot one kill. Maybe the author thinks we are all Navy Seals?
    hate to break it to you but the seals are not really known for long shot capabilities. i think their sniper school probably rates last in the military sniper schools as far as difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post

"The three Navy SEAL snipers who killed the pirates off the coast of Somalia last weekend were lucky the buccaneers were gullible enough to allow their lifeboat to be towed farther out to sea by the U.S.S. Bainbridge. The shortened towline turned what could have been a trio of difficult shots across hundreds of yards of ocean into relatively easy 30-yd. pops. It's a safe bet future pirates won't be so naive. "
    Oh I don't know about that, when a Navy destroyer is towing your little boat just what would make the author think the pirates had any say about just how much rope they let out.... N the news said it was 90 meters and at about 3.281 feet to the meter, that was a heap closer to 100 yards than 30.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther37 View Post
    hate to break it to you but the seals are not really known for long shot capabilities. i think their sniper school probably rates last in the military sniper schools as far as difficulty.
    So Gunther37 what you are saying is that for Navy Seals, not being know for long range, that is even more of a feat in consideration than what the author of the article implied as "relatively easy 30-yd pops."

wolfhunter Guest
    Regardless of the marksman's skill, I thought rifles only killed from within a few feet? BULLETS kill from longer distances if the shooter has the needed skill. Rifle and Optic technologies reduce the amount of skill needed, or increase the distance possible for a given skill set.

Gunther's right, SEAL training is geared for activities within 150 yards or so of their objective. As far as I know, Seals don't use guns.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Regardless of the marksman's skill, I thought rifles only killed from within a few feet? BULLETS kill from longer distances if the shooter has the needed skill. Rifle and Optic technologies reduce the amount of skill needed, or increase the distance possible for a given skill set.

Gunther's right, SEAL training is geared for activities within 150 yards or so of their objective. As far as I know, Seals don't use guns.
    Oh they use guns.... just is the weapon of choice is a very sharp knife at very close range..... from behind....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

God bless the Navy seal's and all the men and women who are in uniform! Thank you for all you do!
    If you get to thinkin you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Oh they use guns.... just is the weapon of choice is a very sharp knife at very close range..... from behind....
    I beg to differ. SEALs use guns, knives, HE, martial arts, the kitchen sink, etc. but seals balance balls on their noses at SeaWorld.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast