I was made at work.... Crap - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I was made at work.... Crap

Quote Originally Posted by prplflh71 View Post
    BRAVO.......Well said!

I just need to get past trying to change the world view of things and cover my own six.

Next issue. I spend a great deal of time driving a company vehicle (again falls under the no guns on company property clause). If I'm carrying legally and am in an accident/injured and the hospital, EMT or LEO discover my LEGALLY carried wepon, do they disclose this to the company since they own the vehicle?
    As a retired LEO I'll say this. In some cases it may be revealed, but not as a call to your employer about a gun. Usually they will hold the gun until you can be contacted and the gun returned to you or your family. OR, the LEO may note in the narrative of the Accident Report, that he recovered a firearm, serial number such and such, and that it was taken in for safe keeping, and that there was a CCW permit in your wallet when they checked for ID. That could eventually be read by the employer when investigating the accident or insurance claims when they obtain a copy of the report. NOW, understand this.... The chances of you getting in an accident are low, the chances of you being unconcious and unable to speak to the LEO on the scene are even lower. If you are concious and can move, take the gun and holster and put it in your briefcase. No one will know. If you are injured and concious, but have to go for medical treatment take your briefcase with you. The hospital will turn it over to the family member who shows up at the hospital. But if you are unconcious and the vehicle has to be towed, the tow company or Police Officer will inventory the vehicle and most likely take the firearm for safe keeping or turn it over to a responsible party that shows up at the accident scene, such as your wife or boss. As I said, do what you can. If you get caught, you MAY be fired. There are other jobs. OR, go unarmed. Your choice.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Friday I carried my P3AT on my ankle and made a point of adjusting my pants/belt in the presence of that person. As I did it I noticed she instantly glanced down to were she thought she saw my other firearm!
    I think if you are going to carry you are making the wise move switching the P-380 at ankle (or I use the pocketholster.com convertible in my front pocket because it makes the gun totally invisible ... always prints WALLET, even if your hand is on the gun).

The slightly slower access and slightly less stopping power is a good change off for the clandestine requirement ... remember concealed IS concealed ... period. NO ONE should ever know you have a gun unless they are being hit by the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by prplflh71 View Post
    I do understand the consequences if I were ever "found out"...
    ...I also have an obligation to provide income for my family.
    That's the point! If you are going to carry "unauthorized" at work YOU MUST understand the consequences of getting caught and YOU must decide if you should discuss this with your spouse or not. Coming home and saying "Honey, I got fired today for carrying a gun", if she does not know you carry at work could be a major problem and in reality your odds of being found out and fired are far, far, far greater than of needing that gun at work.

That is not to say that I ever feel protection is not required, it is just make sure the players all know the game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vegas View Post
    I doubt any leo or emt would have reason to disclose that paticular detail about the situation...
    Police reports are usually written to give as much information as possible for future reference by the attorneys, etc. If the officer knows you are carrying a weapon, it very well may wind up in his report in case later on your valid permit turns up to be a fake for example, or other problems occur.

It is just like if you get a speeding ticket where you are going 80 but he "writes you for 64 in a 55 zone" (I am assuming you know how to not piss off cops) look for that little "80" somewhere in the margin. He knows what it means as does everyone else who handles the ticket, if you become a habitual speeder they want to know.

Coming home and saying "Honey, I got fired today for carrying a gun", if she does not know you carry at work could be a major problem
    My wife got her permit along with me in April. We are debating now the risks involved with carry vs. no carry at my work. She is a CFO at her company and they have no policy against firearms. Her boss and his wife are close friends of ours. He knows we took the class but she hasn't discussed nor has she been asked about her carry status. I would not carry until we have reached an agreement on the subject.

This has been weighing heavilly on me. I'm leaning toward not carrying at work, only because every moment I'd be carring the gun along with the guilt of the policy violation. It comes down to a personal choice and a weighing of risks I guess. Jury is still out........
    "Will Work For Ammo"

At least you ducks are lined up ... that is most important no matter what you decide.

For the record, I do not carry "at work" most of the time and I work for myself. My problem is that a lot of my work is in the political field and involves being in offices that are located within courthouses, police stations or "areas where governmental boards meet", all of which are illegal to carry in Florida. In many areas even LEO's cannot carry unless they are on duty and assigned there. Of course as we all know this hardly makes any of these areas any "safer" and many times makes them much more dangerous. But when it is the law, we tend to follow it more than if it is just a "policy".

It makes it hard for me to reccommend that someone simply ignore a "policy" when I follow the "official policy" of the government and don't carry where unauthorized. I don't want to sound too hypocritical.

Of course, those stupid metal detectors don't help in a whole lot in the chances of not getting caught either.

Talking Working for The Man

This has been weighing heavilly on me. I'm leaning toward not carrying at work, only because every moment I'd be carring the gun along with the guilt of the policy violation. It comes down to a personal choice and a weighing of risks I guess. Jury is still out........[/QUOTE]

It appears that you and I are employed by the same company. I've got over 20 years with them. I am also a former LEO. I watched the video recently and much of it goes against everything I have ever been taught. Sitting under your desk and waiting for the BG to go away was essentially what got so many innocent kids hurt or killed at Virginia Tech.

My company car and laptop is my office. My office takes me into neighborhoods where a lot of the houses are boarded up and groups of men stand around the corner and drink from a brown paper bag at 10 a.m. in the morning. I stand out like a sore thumb, if you catch my drift. I have made the personal decision that I can always find another job if SHTF. But my family needs me to remain healthy and alive and bring home the bacon. if something happens to me the company will talk about what a great guy I was, then they'll find someone else to do my job tomorrow. Someone mentioned integrity earlier and I think integrity is great. I also believe that if someone wants to blow my brains out for my car, my wallet and the equipment in my car, I need to have the integrity to tell him no, and stand ready to give him five good reasons why it's not happening today.
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22: 36

It appears that you and I are employed by the same company.
    Good to know someone in the ranks is "like thinking". At times it seems the whole company and all employees are blind to the risks around them.

I to have a rolling office that takes me into harms way daily. A co-worker was assaulted with a knife recently while working in a rough area.

Stinks to have to consider risking my job to protect my life.........
    "Will Work For Ammo"

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    A few that I like and alternate between are:

[LIST][*]Cell Pal - ConcealCity.com[*]Smart Carry - SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    I'll second the Smartcarry or Lightningwear holster and the Cell Pal - though not with any cell phone holder that Cell Pal sells. NiteIze makes a great line of phone holders that have the same "hook" at the end of the belt clip that the Cell Pal needs to work.

But either holster will allow you to crawl around under things without ever having to worry about laying on the gun or gun retention issues.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234