Shoot Bambi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot Bambi

Shoot Bambi

Ok, can anyone tell me what the Law is if there is one, if I come across Bambi kibeeing on the ground after being struck by a vehicle? Can I take my weapon out and stop the pain and suffering with a shot......of course keeping in mind my surroundings for safety. I'm sure you would then have to let the LEO know about this by making a phone call. I live in NH and do not know. I'm sure I can find out by contacting Fish/Game but then what fun would it be not asking on here?
    What about friends of Bambi; is there a certain size animal that you are allowed to shoot?? I'm not talking about a squirrel .
    Laws different on this in Other states?
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

I know here in my area, you are required to call the Wildlife and Fisheries Dept or Law Enforcement. I had to put down several animals over the years when I was a LEO. We would arrive, look at the situation and have dispatch notify the Fish and Wildlife folks. Then do what had to be done. Sometimes we were even told to wait until they got there. There was also a program here at one time, where after the game animal is put down, they clean it and donate the meat to a food bank or needy family.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

That really is a good question, one I have no idea on the answer in any state. My sister-in-law hit a deer in Pennsylvania a few years back but the impact killed it. Her and few neighbor farmers just threw it across the hood and she headed down to a local Amish guy who butchered it and made bologna.

I am not sure if it was all legal but it sure was tasty!

In SC you have to report it before you can shoot it even to put it out of its misery. Once the game Warden OK's it you can keep it and have it butchered fo yourself. The last part about keeping it yourself was passed into law only a couple of years ago, until then you could not. If a deer/cow/hog etc. was not in too bad shape they would send it to orphanages or similar but the person who got his car wrecked couldn't have it. Primarily behind then ban was too many people were hunting out of seasone and claiming it was road kill.

There is a sign on the door of the one gun range here...

CHARTER MEMBER OF P.E.T.A ...

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Don't know the law, but even when we shoot a deer and it's not dead when we find it, we just cut it's throat. Why waste ammo and mess up the animal?
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

8. Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    There is a sign on the door of the one gun range here...

CHARTER MEMBER OF P.E.T.A ...

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Sign on the back of a butcher's van: Save a cow, Eat a vegitarian.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat

If God didn't want us to eat meat, he wouldn't have made it so tasty!!
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I would think that in most states that putting down a suffering ungulate would be fine as long as the fish and game folks are notified. I run a wildlife rehab facility and I've been told by our Div of Wildlife that if I get a call on a downed ungulate I can euthanize but I need to let them know.

BTW--I am a vegetarian and have been for almost 40 years.
    Sign on the back of a butcher's van: Save a cow, Eat a vegitarian

That would be a good way to get shot

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat

Great piece of bumper sticker philosophy that could also be used to promote cannibalism. People are made of meat too--yummy

I would be interested to know if any state would allow it without notifying LEO. If they don't, then hunt out of season, hit it with a baseball bat a few times, claim roadkill.

FN
    That's exactly why most if not all states require notification.
    I know a lot of the district wildlife managers here and some of the stories involving road kill are quite appalling including people hitting animals with a vehicle on purpose in an attempt to obtain free meat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast