handgun for my wife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handgun for my wife

handgun for my wife

We are moving to florida in a month and she is worried about break-ins because our apartment is on the first floor. Also she wants a firearm to carry in her purse for protection reasons. what would be some of yalls opinions on a firearm for her. Thanks

For a woman unacquainted with firearms, I would choose something small, simple, and reliable. I tend to like Sig Sauer pistols, and their new P238 line is short and to the point. It's easy to use, has 6 rounds of .380, and is priced comparitive to a Glock. Sig also has a whole assortment of slightly larger concealable pistols, such as the P239, P232, and the P229 for the feel of a full size with a shorter barrel.

I agree with Pianomistro. Something small and reliable, but I would recommend a revolver. One of the small
    5 or 6 shot .38 special or .327 federal caliber one would be perfect. She would not have to worry about a magazine, racking the slide, or remembering to take the safety off in a stressful situation. That can be problem
    if She is not that familiar with firearms.

What type of firearm should you get?

My question is how much time has she had at the range? Do not carry a pistol in a purse, if your purse is stolen, weres the gun? In the purse. Now the crook has the purse, and a double bonus, your firearm. Carry this in some type of a holster on your person.
    A revolver in a 357 Mag wolud be a great choice, you can used 38s for pratice and carry too, try an Ruger SP101. But if she wants, she has the option to use the 357 cartridge. For a semi automatic pistol a Glock 19 or a 23 would be a great choice also. Go to a local range and rent a few guns, see whats going to work for her. I have seen to many guys buy a gun for the misses and they dont evan use it. The reason is that it scares them, or it does not fit them at all.
    Let her be the one who chooses the gun and be supportive on the choice. It may make things much easier on you at home. Take a few safety classes that are NRA certified classes in this area of interest. For around the home, a shot gun may be another great choice. Use a 2 3/4 inch shell, in a 4 to 6 shot load with an 1 1/8 once pay load. This will not penatrate walls and carry to far either. Point and leter go. The sound of a pump shot gun has a destinctive sound when racked. It speaks for its self.

Three things:

1) I would suggest a great home defense weapon for y'all would be a 20 gauge shotgun (like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870) using tactical shot #4.
    2) And, agree w/HK USP 40 cal... your bride should carry on her person… to legally do so would require a CCW permit. The classes in Florida are quick and cheap. Y'all could take the CCW class together! :)
    3) Take her to a gun range that allows test runs with pistols before buying. Let your wife shoot a number of weapons focusing on comfort in her hand and which one feels right to her.

But, I would definitely recommend a semi-auto: H&K compact, Glock or S&W are great choices.

If you don't mind me asking... where in Florida are y’all moving to?

7. Quote Originally Posted by cskinner675 View Post
    We are moving to florida in a month and she is worried about break-ins because our apartment is on the first floor. Also she wants a firearm to carry in her purse for protection reasons. what would be some of yalls opinions on a firearm for her. Thanks
    My opinion would be to take her shopping to a gun. She is the important part of the equation here not what we think. Have her shoot a few. My wife tried barettas, sigs, S&W, she ended up with a Taurus PT140 pro.

She loves the feel in her hand and can shoot very will with it

Two things you never buy a woman...... Shoes..... and a gun. You'll never get the one that fits just right. Best thing to do is take her to shops and let her handle some. Then see if you can rent the ones she likes the best. If you get one that fits her well it'll be fun for her to shot and she'll be more likely to practice with it.

Having said that have her look at the Bersa Thunder .380. Its a sold made gun, not to heavy, easy to conceal, and for around $300 won't break the bank.

Hope this helps.

What part of Florida are you moving to?
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Enough with the "get this" if she is not that familiar with firearms stuff!!!

If the thread was, What gun should the 240lb jock who know nothing about guns carry this thread would be ... get the training, learn what you are doing, and nothing else ... but because it is "the wife" ???

The answer is NONE! Either she learns to handle a firearm safely, securely with the right training and attitude or she does not carry ... period!

Treat her like you would any male freind. Take her to the range, let her shoot your guns, let her rent some guns, have her take the classes and then let her pick the gun she is going to carry.

Of course, I reccommend she look at the P-3AT or the LCP, they are my primary carry ... light, small, and simple to operate and folks, there is plenty of stopping power in a .380.

I also agree that purse carry is dangerous and BTW, purse grab is THE most likely attack that she will be exposed to here in Florida (as I assume most places). Most female LEO no longer purse carry. And really, how often does a woman wear a dress these days? Slacks have pockets, and again the little .380s with a billfold backer holster pocket carry even in thin materials with no printing.

Glad she is wanting to join the ranks. It is just so important that she do it right, because in the long run it is what will keep her alive.

10. Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Two things you never buy a woman...... Shoes..... and a gun. You'll never get the one that fits just right. Best thing to do is take her to shops and let her handle some. Then see if you can rent the ones she likes the best. If you get one that fits her well it'll be fun for her to shot and she'll be more likely to practice with it.

Having said that have her look at the Bersa Thunder .380. Its a sold made gun, not to heavy, easy to conceal, and for around $300 won't break the bank.

Hope this helps.

What part of Florida are you moving to?
    We finally agree on something!

Take her out shooting. Invite some friends. Let her try as many different options as possible. I have a decent selection of handguns and I would have guessed that my wife would pick either the Kahr CW9 or the Ruger SP101 in .357. After trying all my pistols, and training with a couple of them at Front Sight, her choice is the XDm-9. Now to figure out how to conceal it.

I also agree that a purse is not the ideal place to keep your firearm. If you are determined to go this route, at least buy a purse made for carrying (separate compartment for the firearm and steel cable reinforced shoulder strap).
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast