Question on Shotguns
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Question on Shotguns

  1. #1

    Question on Shotguns

    I'm looking into getting a 12ga for home defense. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911 for carry, but I need something with a little more pop. I have a question that I'm very embarrassed to ask.

    How in the heck does a Breaching Barrel work? I just don't understand how the jagged edge at the end of the barrel helps breaching doors. Don't they make special rounds that are for breaching, and if so, are they just as effective as using a breaching barrel(or some combination of both)?

    Thanks in advance everyone for any information
    I don't mind if you want to kill me, but I might struggle a bit. -- Trowa Barton

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wesley Chapel NC
    Posts
    270

    Hmmmm...

    I don't know for sure, but I believe it helps keep the barrel against the door/lock or whatever you are trying to breach. The jagged bits bite into the wood/metal.

    I am sure someone will be along to tell me I am an idiot soon enough.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    1,854
    The ports on the breach and the jagged end allow you to hold the barrel against the door but allow the gasses to escape out the sides instead of into the door. Possibly blowing pieces of the door back at you.

    You can get around this with a normal barrel by just not pressing it up against the door.

    Plugging the end of a barrel, holding it flush to the door, is never a good idea either. The beaching end eliminates this issue also.

    And more importantly it looks cool.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    The ports on the breach and the jagged end allow you to hold the barrel against the door but allow the gasses to escape out the sides instead of into the door. Possibly blowing pieces of the door back at you.

    You can get around this with a normal barrel by just not pressing it up against the door.

    Plugging the end of a barrel, holding it flush to the door, is never a good idea either. The beaching end eliminates this issue also.

    And more importantly it looks cool.


    And more importantly it looks cool.

    But for most of us is it really necessary?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    And more importantly it looks cool.

    But for most of us is it really necessary?
    I breach doors all the time!! lol just kidding

    I'm with you. I passed on one because I couldn't see spending the extra money just to have the door breach. Now if it was the same price I may have got it just because.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    I breach doors all the time!! lol just kidding

    I'm with you. I passed on one because I couldn't see spending the extra money just to have the door breach. Now if it was the same price I may have got it just because.
    That is kind of what I thought plus I want to keep the barrel as short as I can rather than add something that will add length.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  8. #7
    It could also be more effective in a "hand to hand" type of situation. I have seen some of the newer tactical flashlights have a scalloped edge, to make it a more effective striking weapon. The muzzle end of a Mossberg 500 could really hurt someone if hit with it, especially if you combine it with a meat grinder.
    "Guns Dont cause murder, If I really wanted someone dead, I could do it with a hammer"
    Me 1995. High School. Senior Government -Anti Gun Control Speech

  9. #8
    Thanks everyone for the help and input.

    I totally agree with the jagged edge striking argument, have you seen Surefire's E2d Defenders, they are small but really look like they would hurt. And their LED models are like 110 lumens. Mine is 80 and it blinds the crap out of me.


    Another question for everyone: Can you imagine a situation where you would have to breach a door in your own house?
    I don't mind if you want to kill me, but I might struggle a bit. -- Trowa Barton

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast