Man Shoots 16-Year-Old Mugger
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Shoots 16-Year-Old Mugger

Man Shoots 16-Year-Old Mugger

Police say he did the right thing... score one for the good guys!

Man shoots 16-year-old mugger
    Published : Thursday, 11 Jun 2009, 6:22 PM EDT (Updated: Thursday, 11 Jun 2009, 7:29 PM EDT)
    Ray Collins

Sarasota - Sarasota police say a teenage gunman tried to rob a man Thursday morning, but the victim turned the tables on his attacker. The attempted robbery happened early this morning in the 3800 block of Rilma Avenue, and now the suspect is the one who is nursing a gunshot wound.

Elliott Firby was driving home from his overnight job at the post office when he saw a pick up truck get behind him. When Firby began to unlock his front gate, the truck stopped at his house.

"A guy jumps out of the passenger side with a pump shotgun, tells me to 'give it up sir, give it up sir'. I immediately reached for my weapon in my pocket and did what I had to do to keep from being killed," Firby said.

Firby pulled out a handgun and shot the armed mugger in the stomach. The would-be mugger hobbled back in the truck and drove off, and Firby called 911. Police later found the 16-year-old suspect in the hospital emergency room. They say Firby did the right thing.

Firby just got the gun last year after someone shot him with a paintball while riding his bike. He says he never expected to use it, but is glad he had it early Thursday morning.

He hopes to get the gun back from police soon. "My pillow don't feel right," he said.

The young suspect will be charged with a felony once he's released from the hospital. He's identified as 16-year-old Brandon Ellis. Police are still looking for an accomplice in the truck.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Teacher's comment...

I hope the kid learned his lesson!

Sounds like he did everthing right except sleeping with the gun under his pillow. That may not be the best idea.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Sounds like he did everthing right except sleeping with the gun under his pillow. That may not be the best idea.
    Maybe he's referring to not being able to sleep comfortably knowing that his gun is within arms reach while he sleeps.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

good for him.. and a good reason to have multiple pistols. in case you have to use one then give it up to the police for a while.. then you still have more in case you need them.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Good for him!! Gotta love Florida. I think our permit wait time is up to 100 - 110 days now and last I checked over 600,000 active permits. Bad guys be warned!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Actually, he did at least one thing wrong: He used too small a gun. On the other hand a larger gun may not have fit in his pocket and this was an ideal time for a pocket pistol. I'd sure want to totally stop an assailant with a shotgun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    good for him.. and a good reason to have multiple pistols. in case you have to use one then give it up to the police for a while.. then you still have more in case you need them.
    Damn, I guess I better go get another gun. I hate it when that happens.

My training was always to put two shots in the thoratic region, asses the situation, and if the threat is still immanent you put one in the ocular crainial... Just to be sure

Exclamation Sounds like military training

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    My training was always to put two shots in the thoratic region, asses the situation, and if the threat is still immanent you put one in the ocular crainial... Just to be sure

I rember that from the good old days of USAF M-9 Training
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast