Cop's carry guns WHY! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cop's carry guns WHY!

It always irritated me to be "carded" when purchasing, but as my wife reminded me, it is often required by law. I don't like the aggrevation, but since I'm not LEO, I just follow the law - I don't think there is any wording in the law to exclude LEO.

Don't see what the problem was. There are many stores that have policies that require that employees card everyone for "age restricted purchases". If the officer was concerned about her personal information, she could easily produce her department issued ID card (as she was on duty). AFAIK, most departments require officers to produce said dept. issued ID when a citizen requests verification of their LE status.

I was at a 7-Eleven store near my home about a year ago. The store is near a police substation. Many officers (on and off duty) make purchases in the store. Back in November of '07, the store instituted a "card everyone" policy. There were numerous signs posted in the store and at the registers. An off duty cop comes in and attempted to purchase a 6-pack. He was wearing the distinctive white police undershirt and blue uniform pants. When the clerk requested for his ID, he flipped out. I was a few customers behind in line and witnessed the transaction. Having recognized the officer from one of my classes, I attempted to talk some sense into him. After identifying myself, and him recognizing me as well as realizing that I was close buddies with his Sergeant and Lieutenant, he quickly shaped up, returned to his personal vehicle and retrieved his ID. It looks like it could have gotten pretty ugly had I not been in the store that day.

Not sure what the deal is with these few "bad apple" cops. They need to keep in mind that like they're "just doing their job" in many cases, so are the good citizens in situations like this.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I've read the comments from both the article and from this post.

Doesn't anyone find it extremely strange or against department policy for an officer in uniform to be buying achohol on duty??

My opinion is that since she was buying a bottle of wine in uniform, and got upset so quickly, tells me she's a drunk. She needs to be investigated.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

5. Doesn't even matter that she was a cop...

except for the poor reflection on other LEOs when this one apparently couldn't control her needs/emotions under minor stress. This assumes you believe what's been reported as gospel, and don't allow that facts may surface that show the clerk isn't truthful. Remember the 2nd day facts that developed in the Oklahoma pharmacy. Not saying that will happen here, but i'll reserve judgment.

But anytime you buy alcohol, you need to be prepared to show ID. Doesn't matter who you are or how many times you've purchased from the same store or the same clerk. And if you wave your gun around or threaten to shoot someone (again, as alleged in the story), cop or not, you're guilty of menacing, brandishment, or several other related misdemeanors and/or felonies the LEOs may want to toss at you.

But most of all, you're guilty of stupidity. So much hoohaw over just being asked to flash a drivers license. If true, this is someone who probably shouldn't be a cop or even carry a weapon.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I call that the 'GOD' complex. I've seen it before. They think since they have a gun and a badge that they are above everyone. Luckily they get rid of them before they get too high in the department and luckily they are a very small minority in LE.
    I started getting defensive about your post until I got to the end, "they are a very small minority in LE."

Thanks for that last part.

How hard is it to go home and change clothes before going to buy something like this? Public image???
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I started getting defensive about your post until I got to the end, "they are a very small minority in LE."

Thanks for that last part.

How hard is it to go home and change clothes before going to buy something like this? Public image???

Apparently too difficult for the officer involved in the incident. I checked with 3 local LE agencies and department policy dictates that they refrain from purchasing or consuming alcohol while in uniform. This is why most officers will secure their uniform shirt and gun belt before purchasing or consuming alcohol. You can still tell that they're LEO by the trademark uniform pants and white v-neck undershirt (another reason why I cannot figure out what's so difficult about having a "civilian" polo or other shirt in their vehicles). They are complying with policy by not being in uniform.

I'm glad that on a national scale, the "bad cops" are a minority.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

This is about an hour west and south from me. What wasn't she thinking?!?!?! Makes me glad we are among the Yoder's. They are decent, level headed people.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

A former fellow co-worker's daughter worked for a movie studio in the Los Angeles area. One day he brought to work some before and after pictures of a man that his daughter made up to look decades older than his natural, biological age. It was amazing that this 21 year old looked to be in his 80s. Maybe that's why the businesses card everyone! Who ever knows what one's real age is?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12