Bullet from dropped gun hits woman in bathroom stall - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bullet from dropped gun hits woman in bathroom stall

Ray53 - I uderstand exactly what you are talking about, Some instructors are just focused on the minimums of getting the person through the course so they can get their CWP. Others actually give useful training and information. I have heard lots of people make fun of the courses and usually it is the ones getting the minimum training. For a course to be worth taking and what the legislature envisions is that you learn safety from handling to being out in hte public. Knowing when to use your gun and when not to as well as where you can and can't carry. To me the actual shooting is basically that they know which end the bullet comes out of and can fire in the direction that they intend.

You cannot in an 8 hour course teach them to be excellent marksmen and know all of the laws or possibilities that may come up. However ther should be a minimum and too many classes don't even cover that. As for finding a range, that is a problem as you are usually competing with them and their quickie course. However their course usually is better than the instructors that they found were just signing off on training without ever doing any at all.

Yes that is correct and that was our training at the police academy. If you are in uniform and wearing a duty holster, take the gun out and put it between your legs ( resting in your underwear -pants down) - you won't forget the gun and a bad guy can't reach under the stall and grab your gun when your not in a position to chase. Same for CCW wear, take the gun out of the belt holster (I don't use paddle holsters) when doing your business. Worked for 20 years so far no incidents.

4. I guess alot of people feel safer with the bullet chambered. but if you think about it, it's alot safer with the bullets in the clip in the gun ready to be chambered. it only takes a second to pull the slide back and chamber a bullet.don't just practice shooting your gun, practice loading it. it's alot safer for all of us. deer or bear hunting is a different storie. but we're not deer or bear hunten, are we ? be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecks79 View Post
    I guess alot of people feel safer with the bullet chambered. but if you think about it, it's alot safer with the bullets in the clip in the gun ready to be chambered. it only takes a second to pull the slide back and chamber a bullet.don't just practice shooting your gun, practice loading it. it's alot safer for all of us. deer or bear hunting is a different storie. but we're not deer or bear hunten, are we ? be safe.
    If it's already in the chamber, it won't jam when you slide the slide!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

wrecks 79,

You said that the bullet shouldn't be chambered anyway. I disagree. It depends on the type of semi that
    you carry. I carry an S&W 908S. You can drop the gun on the hammer and it will not fire. The total depressing of the trigger allows the hammer to hit the firing pin, which in turn, hits the primer. If you don't know how your gun's hammer strikes the firing pin, then I guess you need to go to someone who knows your gun, like a gunsmith, or call the factory and ask them how it works. With d/a semis, they work just like d/a revolvers on the first shot. In a pinch, I don't want to have to remember to jack a round into the chamber or take the safety off either. That's right, I leave my safety off as well. I just want to be ready to do what I have to do. Hopefully, I can talk my way out of the situation. But, if not, then I will have had to be in fear of my life-big time. It is either me or them. I'm darned if it is going to be me, so it is them. Anyway, gun safety is the important thing here. We need to be as safe as we can be when we carry. That is our responsibility to ourselves, our family, those who are around us, and to everyone else who carries. We don't want to do anything stupid and get someone hurt or killed. Fortunately, the woman that got shot will be alright. Being that it was an accident, I will be surprised if any charges are filed in this case. But, what do I know? Have a great day.

Of course the Bradys will eat it up and use the incident to argue that no one should be allowed to carry concealed.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Just roll it up in your drawers as you drop them. No one will be able to see it. I wouldn't lay my piece down anywhere but home.

I try not to use public restrooms especially for #2 but if I absolutely have to my firearm is in my hand while I do my business. It can be done...

My worst nightmare is dropping or loosing my handgun while in a public place.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."-Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Ray53 View Post
    I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor in Florida. What Florida requires is a basic gun course to get your concealed carry permit. It can be an NRA Firearms Safety Course, or the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission Hunter Education or Safety Course, or show your Military ID Card or DD-214. You say that the Concealed Weapons Course is a joke. It is a joke because there is NO formal concealed weapons course as written in Florida Law. It doesn't exist.
    You should see the Alabama test -- test to see if you can fill your name out on a sheet, test to see if you have $20, and the sheriff hands you your permit, all within the course of 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by patientzero View Post
    You should see the Alabama test -- test to see if you can fill your name out on a sheet, test to see if you have $20, and the sheriff hands you your permit, all within the course of 10 minutes.
    I do have mixed feelings on this but it is exactly why the national reciprocity bill did not pass yesterday. Some states have "no" requirements and others very strict.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast