Concealed carry weapons bust - 2 arrested for selling gun training certificates
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry weapons bust - 2 arrested for selling gun training certificates

Concealed carry weapons bust - 2 arrested for selling gun training certificates

The Lucas County Sheriff's Office, along with the Wood County Sheriff's Office, worked with an informant to arrest two men who they say were helping people get concealed carry weapon (CCW) licenses.

In order to receive a CCW, you're required to complete 12 hours of hand gun instruction and training. Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn told FOX Toledo Jason Hernandez of Perrysburg, and Michael Davenport of Northwood were selling completion certificates to people who never did any training.

Hernandez and Davenport allegedly sold over 130 National Rifle Association certificates to people in Wood and Lucas counties. Approximately 110 false certificates were filed in Lucas County and 22 in Wood.

Detectives believe some of the certificates were sold for as much as $300 a piece.

Hernandez and Davenport are facing felony charges for this criminal activity that detectives say has been going on since 2004.

But those who purchased the certificates are not in the clear. Detective Sergeant Scott Cook with the Wood County Sheriff’s Office says all those individuals are also facing a felony charge. Many have already been contacted but there are others who still need to turn themselves in.

"If you have been involved in this and I have not contacted you we are not going to come to your house to arrest you," said Det. Sgt. Cook. "We ask that you come and turn yourself in or contact your local law enforcement agency. Any cooperation will go a long way."

Sgt. Cook added his department is working with law enforcement agencies in other counties in Ohio and Michigan to possibly crack similar operations.

Source: Fox Toledo

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Not good. Thanks Lukem for the "heads up"...
    Semper Fi

Something tells me they are in big trouble.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Interesting read, and I'm curious how it will play out.

Thanks for posting that Lukem.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

6. I have to ask why? If you are spending $300, why not just take the damn class?
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

The guys selling the fake certs are idiots.

The guys buying them and using them are complete, freaking morons.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfling68 View Post
    I have to ask why? If you are spending $300, why not just take the damn class?
    Quote Originally Posted by XD-Fender View Post
    The guys selling the fake certs are idiots.

The guys buying them and using them are complete, freaking morons.

And that's all I have to say about that...
    The Wiphe and I were talking about this and I think that the report may be a tad off. Maybe it was $30 not $300... ?????????
    Semper Fi

Thumbs down

Bad, bad, bad for law abiding citizens. Some people just will not abide by societies rules and laws.
    Preserve the 2nd amendment and firearms, THE NRA NEEDS YOU NOW!
    May the happiest day of your past, be the saddest day or your future.
    Today is the very first day of the rest of your life!

Glad they got caught, like someone else said why not just take the class? It's fun and I enjoyed it. Always people trying to cut corners...

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."-Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfling68 View Post
    I have to ask why? If you are spending $300, why not just take the damn class?
    Lazy! Also, many who bought the bogus certificates, were likely not capable of qualifying under the law for a CCW permit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast