Saiga Sporter 16 inch .308 Value?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga Sporter 16 inch .308 Value?

Saiga Sporter 16 inch .308 Value?

I'm brand new to forums of any kind so I hope this works; I'm new to this. Can anyone tell me what the average retail value is for a Saiga Sporter 16 inch .308 is these days? Anyone care to chip in with their opinions re: this rifle? Thanks!!!

The prices of the Saiga's have gone up quite a bit. Around $600 is the going price for a new one. I have one and it's a great shooter. I haven't modified mine yet to meet the 922R compliance. One day I'll get around to do it. The only drawback for the 308 is the upward trigger pull. It takes a little to get use to it but all in all it's not bad for a semi-auto 308!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by douglasgdean View Post
    I'm brand new to forums of any kind so I hope this works; I'm new to this. Can anyone tell me what the average retail value is for a Saiga Sporter 16 inch .308 is these days? Anyone care to chip in with their opinions re: this rifle? Thanks!!!
    Welcome! I checked gunbroker and they had one for $570.00.

RAA Saiga Sporter 308 Russian American Armory : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

They had another one listed that had some aftermarket stuff for $1500.00 but I think the $550 to $600 range is about average.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Centerfire Systems lists them for $500:

Saiga .308 Rifle

I have one and really like it; I need to get around to converting it. But, it is the only semi-automatic rifle I can take to California (with <10 round mags of course) without becoming an InstaFelon-so I hesitate to change it.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

What have you guys done to yours? pics? I have one but I havent done anything with it other then putting on a sling and getting a couple of 25rd mags. It still has the wood stock without a pistol grip, which I would like to add some day. Oh BTW this gun will shoot down trees that are 12 inches in diameter, just in case you guys were wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Comp_sH00tEr24 View Post
    I have one but I havent done anything with it other then putting on a sling and getting a couple of 25rd mags.
    I haven't done anything to mine either. If you haven't made yours 922R compliant don't get caught with the 25 rounders! Having high capacity mags with an unmodified import firearm is illegal.

Shooting Enthusiast - Understanding 18 USC 922R
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Thanks to you guys who've responded. Sounds like a good deal at $675 for a new rifle w/2 extra capacity mags, sling, cleaning kit carrying case and some ammo thrown in. Is it a big deal to change it over from standard trigger to pistol grip? Seems like that would maybe do away with the novel trigger pull characteristics on the sporter.

Is it compliant with 922R to reconfigure the Saiga to a pistol-grip trigger?

If you read this link it will tell you what items you can change to make it compliant. Shooting Enthusiast - Understanding 18 USC 922R

The Pistol Grip is one of the items you can change to get you closer to 922R. If I remember correctly you have to do some cutting and moving to install the Pistol Grip. If you do a Google search you can find all kinds of articles on how to do it and exactly how many parts you must change.

Complying with 922R

Here are the parts that most owners use to achieve 922R compliance:
    - Trigger
    - Hammer
    - Disconnector
    - Buttstock
    - Pistol grip
    - Handguard (upper and lower handguards on an AK only count as 1 compliance part)
    - Gas piston
    - Magazine parts (Note: body, follower and floorplate each count as 1 compliance part).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I haven't done anything to mine either. If you haven't made yours 922R compliant don't get caught with the 25 rounders! Having high capacity mags with an unmodified import firearm is illegal.

Shooting Enthusiast - Understanding 18 USC 922R
    Wow what an idiotic law, thank you for bringing that to my attention. So say that I did not change out all the parts to make it compliant...Would just owning those hi-cap mags be illegal or must they be in the gun for it to be against the law?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast