22 Rifle Opinions Please - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 Rifle Opinions Please

Ok.....

One more. My dad had one of these when I was a teenager and I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread!!

Henry US Survival Rifle .22 LR Black 22 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $185.00

Depends on what they are going to use them for:

Fun, Ruger 10-22

Hunting, Marlin 60

The very thing that makes the 10-22 appealing (mods, attachments, magazines, etc) can also make it complicated. The Marlin 60 is simple (tube magazine, straightforward design, and rugged) I own and enjoy both but the Marlin 60 always goes into the woods with me. You'll notice two rifles, one for Grandpa and one for Grandson!

If they don't hunt, then the Ruger 10-22 is more fun to play with.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bplv View Post
    Ruger 10/22 will give them a lot of options for customizing the gun. It is also quite simple to disassemble. Wal-mart sells them in some of the stores.
    Absolutely +1. You can start with a standard 10/22 carbine and as finances allow turn it into a customized complete tack driver!

5. Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Depends on what they are going to use them for:

Hunting, Marlin 60

The very thing that makes the 10-22 appealing (mods, attachments, magazines, etc) can also make it complicated. The Marlin 60 is simple (tube magazine, straightforward design, and rugged) I own and enjoy both but the Marlin 60 always goes into the woods with me. You'll notice two rifles, one for Grandpa and one for Grandson!

If they don't hunt, then the Ruger 10-22 is more fun to play with.
    HEY! Is that bottom Marlin 60 the one I sold about 3 years ago?!? I had an Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company something or other commemorative model 60. I sold it with a Simmons scope on it, but I did have the Bushnell Wal Mart special scope on it at one time, which looks like the scope you have on yours.

Don't know. I bought it in Lafayette, TN about two months ago. It didn't have a scope on it then. It is very accurate and was in really good shape. Medallion is NRA. The top one was purchased NIB and wears a Nikon scope.The 10-22 can be made into a good hunting rifle, but you need to do some mods (heavier barrel, etc.) whereas the Marlin 60 is ready for tree rats right out of the box. You can't "Tacticool" it like you can the 10-22 though. Both have their place.

I vote for the ruger 10-22.

If you want to make it a little better (not that it really needs it) you can add a dragunov style stock from Cheaper Than Dirt. It is inexpensive and really adds to the rifle.
    -Austin

my vote goes for the ruger 10/22. they are not expensive, they are durable and should last a lifetime if taken care of. my wife loves mine so I am buying her one of her own.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Starter 22

All of the above I have good experiences with save one. I once bought a Rem 597, all I will say is that it didnt take long for me to trade it in on something else. I still have 2 extra mags for it,would trade for a 10/22 mag. Good luck

While everyone is listed various rifles, and they're all good; none have more aftermarket goodies than the Ruger 10/22. Since they are for 13 year olds, go to Walmart (or anyplace they're on sale), buy 2, and let each kid customize as he pleases. That way you don't have to wonder about birthday / xmas presents (ammo, sights, scopes, stocks, magazines, etc)
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

My 2 cents worth =
    The Ruger 10/22 is an excellent rifle, as are the Rem 597, Marlin 60, etc.
    HOWEVER, for a FIRST rifle, I would tend away from a semi-auto.
    I would recommend a bolt action. More about safety, accuracy, etc. can be taught while just learning to shoot. And if as yyou said, they are twins, you will be trying to work with and teach two at a time, keeping you on your toes.
    I preferr the CZ452's, but not necessarily all that cheap. Marlin and Mossberg also make fine bolt actions.
    I started my daughter off with a Romanian training rifle in 22LR - they were readily available and cheap at the time. She is now a competitive Trap shooter in college.
    JMHO
    In any case best of luck and congrats on having sons interested in taking up the sports.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast