22 Rifle Opinions Please - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 Rifle Opinions Please

Good one for the price is the Savage Bolt Action with the 5-shot mag.
    "Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Major Hugh Pollard

Blog Entries
    My Granddad bought all of his Grandsons Marlin 22 bolt action rifles. I received mine when I was 5 years old. That was close to 60 years ago and I still shoot it. My brother and I would work cutting grass, picking rocks, or putting up hay just to get enough money to buy shells. Then we would take a feed sack full of cans down in the woods and set them on the opposite hill side and shoot untill they all fell over, than set them up and go again.
    I guess things don't change, last night after supper I filled a feed sack full of old squash out of the garden and took them down in the woods and stuck on end in the ground and got back about 20 yards and cut loose with my XDm 9mm. I found that squash are the same as those targets that are visable when shot. Each hit was a bright white hole on a dark green surface.
    I was going to set up clay pigions, but squash are really bio-degradable.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

10/22 would be my recommendation. Just purchased my first this year for my son. He enjoys shooting it and it is easy to maintain/clean which is a plus for me.

My first small caliber rifle was the Marlin 60, followed by a Savage .17 HMR bolt action. Despite the Marlin being a semi and being 18 years old, I quickly learned to LOVE the Savage, way more. It was simply more accurate. So accurate I couldn't believe it, in fact. Also it was a bolt action, meaning I had to learn to TAKE MY TIME when shooting (I taught myself how to shoot). When I had that semi Marlin, I was liable to just waste ammo on stuff. The bolt action really cleaned up my act, and now all I like to have for rifles are bolt actions.

I figured I would relate this since I didn't have parents who were willing to teach me how to shoot when growing up. The easier platform that instilled confidence in me was the bolt action, and the Savage was also very cheap!
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

In my opinion a Rugar 10/22 would be a good choice. They are very accurate and moderatly priced. They are also very durable.
    Jeff
    NRA GOLDEN EAGLES / LIFE MEMBER
    "They can have my guns, one round at a time . . ."

7. Quote Originally Posted by willyd View Post
    You really really need to look at "Henry" rifles - made in the USA. They are very economical and trustworthy.
    +1 for Henry. Take a look at the H001 around $450 but well worth it. Action is smooth as butter.

Ruger 10/22 is a great option. Modifications are available to make each boy's gun different and special to them.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

I like Henry rifles too. But, for the price of one Henry, you can get two 10/22 Rugers WITH mods!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

I've never used a Henry so I can't offer any advice there but the Rugar 10/22 I have is extremely accurate straight out of the box as well as tough. Also they can take use after use and have no problems. I have had mine for several years now and it still functions as good as when it was new.
    Jeff
    NRA GOLDEN EAGLES / LIFE MEMBER
    "They can have my guns, one round at a time . . ."

And the winner is?

I bought 2 Ruger 10/22 All Weather at Dicks Sporting Goods for $259 each.

On a side note it was the sale that almost wasn't. Dicks has a form that you fill out besides the BATFE form. They get your address and telephone number. There is also a question where they ask how many children under the age of 18 live in your house. I refused to answer that question. When ask why, I told them it was none of their business. I thought the guy was going to have a stroke. He went and got the manager who told me they weren't going to sell me the guns if I did not answer the question. After a 15 minute discussion about privacy rights and me threatening to go somewhere else he finally caved.

Now if I can just keep them hidden until Christmas.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast