Very new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very new

1. Very new

Hi everyone- I have 3 adult sons who all shoot and own many guns, hand guns, long guns, guns guns guns
    i have been to ranges with them and enjoy the hand guns. I am thinking about learning to shoot, buying a hand gun and eventually a concealed carry license...Unfortinuately they live in WA and Texas- i am in ohio. can i just show up at a gun range and rent a revolver and shoot or should i find someone who knows what they are doing to take me? should i sign up for a class first? i would appreciate any advice. thanks

Hello and Welcome to USA Carry....Most shooting ranges have guns u can rent, or most of the ranges here do anyways again Welcome from the sunny SC shore....................
    Glock Carrier in SC.

MufDady

You can show up but if you have not shot it would be a good idea to take some lessons from a good instructor. That can keep you from learning some bad habits and will help make you better at handling a firearm.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Welcome from Tampa Bay Floriduh...
    I would call around at the local shooting ranges or call Concealed carry instructors and ask who they recommend for some training.. Like it was said, it is hard to unlearn bad habits, and some habits can really hurt you or someone else..
    It might cost you a few bucks, but you are dealing with deadly weapons...
    I know someone locally that provides an opportunity for people to shoot several different kinds of pistols (provided by the instructor) so inexperienced people have a chance to see what they prefer...
    Some training and exposure to several different types of pistols can be invaluable and well worth the few bucks you might have to spend.. In my Opinion..

Good luck!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

6. Thank you- seems to make sense. I will call around and maybe call an old friend who is a police officer. Mcs

an old friend who is a police officer would be a great place to start! try to use as many as you can and see which is most comfortable for you. have fun and stay safe!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Police officer?!

I thought you said to avoid bad habits and learn safe gun handling? Just kidding, that'd be a good start. I was thinking that at most ranges, especially those that offer guns, would have someone knowledgable on-hand with a working knowledge of all the range firearms that would be beneficial to you.

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    I thought you said to avoid bad habits and learn safe gun handling? Just kidding, that'd be a good start. I was thinking that at most ranges, especially those that offer guns, would have someone knowledgable on-hand with a working knowledge of all the range firearms that would be beneficial to you.
    +1. Some officers are quite good and have a lot of knowledge but not all. I worked in law enforcement for a while and knew some from both camps. Some departments require range qualification only once a year at the most and a lot of officers never spend any more time at the range than they absolutely have to.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Hi everyone- I have 3 adult sons who all shoot and own many guns, hand guns, long guns, guns guns guns
    i have been to ranges with them and enjoy the hand guns. I am thinking about learning to shoot, buying a hand gun and eventually a concealed carry license...Unfortinuately they live in WA and Texas- i am in ohio. can i just show up at a gun range and rent a revolver and shoot or should i find someone who knows what they are doing to take me? should i sign up for a class first? i would appreciate any advice. thanks

Welcome to the show, mcs...
    Any of your ideas are good ones.
    I would say, "Yes" to all of the above!

Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

11. What part of Ohio are you located?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast