Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?)

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    True. However I don't own any revolvers and it is only a matter of time before he can do it consistently.

Besides most of my handguns are Glocks and they don't go off by themselves.
    If he's slowly getting the hang of it, then you could pick up an Advantage Arms conversion kit. The inexpensive .22 ammo along with the lighter recoil spring would make it easier for your son to get the hang of racking the slide. I've been working with my 5 year old using the conversion kit on my G 19. He's slowly getting the hang of it.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

No matter what we try, my sister-in-law CANNOT rack the slide on her pistol. I keep telling the brother-in-law to get her a revolver, but he hasn't yet...I'm hoping, in the meantime, that she's not a disaster waiting to happen.

Damned if I wouldn't get a revolver as opposed to using the aforementioned Jennings firearm!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    If he's slowly getting the hang of it, then you could pick up an Advantage Arms conversion kit. The inexpensive .22 ammo along with the lighter recoil spring would make it easier for your son to get the hang of racking the slide. I've been working with my 5 year old using the conversion kit on my G 19. He's slowly getting the hang of it.

gf
    Good Idea!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    No matter what we try, my sister-in-law CANNOT rack the slide on her pistol. I keep telling the brother-in-law to get her a revolver, but he hasn't yet...I'm hoping, in the meantime, that she's not a disaster waiting to happen.

Damned if I wouldn't get a revolver as opposed to using the aforementioned Jennings firearm!

The problem may be with the instructors rather than the techniques. Through experience, I've found that in some cases wives have a difficult time learning firearms safety from their husbands, or even with the husbands nearby. When I get a husband/wife pair in my class, I have the assistant instructors observe and see if this is becoming a problem. If it is (as it has in several cases), we'll split the husband and wife up into different groups. This usually allows the wife to be more comfortable, especially when she's around a bunch of other women and she ends up getting more out of the class.

You may have success in having your sister-in-law learning from an instructor that's not related or too close to the family. I have a couple of great female instructors I work with here in PRHI if you're up for a "road trip".

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I've read numerous stories about Jennings firearms doing stuff like that. Personally, I believe that this is one brand that should be banned. Clearly, a gun that can fire without the trigger being squeezed or by simply deactivating the safety is not safe for ANYONE to handle. It's just a good thing that no one was killed in that incident.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Alway's buy high quality firearms.

Jennings ? Who the hell are they ??
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

I remember back in the days of the "Saturday Night Special" debates that the .25 auto was the choice of weapon to conceal and Jennings being one of the primary brands. The general concensus was that a SNS was a gun that was more dangerous to the shooter than the shootee. I see that now after 40 or so years Jennings is still living up to its reputation.

9. New Member

Hello Folks,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I have been very interested in this incident and am glad to find this forum, as I am a FL resident and this range is fairly close to me. I had never heard of it until this incident. I belong to a very fine Gun Club about an hour away from my home. Safety is their utmost concern - fun and assistance is next. No unpleasant RO's, all are very helpful and friendly If you violate the rules you are corrected if it is an honest mistake, after that you are refunded your money and told not to return. I have visited other ranges that I would never consider going to again. I had more guns pointed at me at one than I had in my tour of Vietnam. I left immediately and told them I would not be returning. Guns are a tool to be used as needed. The quality of the "tool" and the manner in which it is used dictate it's safety.

I am anxious to see the outcome of this investigation.

Glad to be aboard,

Len

Welcome aboard Len. We hope you will stick around and provide us with some good insight and experiences. If you find any more info on this please let us know. It sounded like a "bad gun" rather than operator error.

11. Thank you for the welcome. I am going to be near there today and may stop in to see if I can find out more. I have a "Springfield TRP" wanting some exercise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast