Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?)

Exclamation Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?)

LAKELAND, Fla. — A Tampa couple and an Irish tourist were shot at a Lakeland gun range after a handgun accidentally fired.
    Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
    Polk County sheriff's deputies say it's not entirely clear how many times Michael and Sherri Thourot's 9mm accidentally went off Saturday, or what caused the handgun to fire. The pistol was a Jennings make.

The man in an adjacent stall, 29-year-old Gary Flynn, of Ireland, was most seriously injured. He underwent surgery after being hit in the shoulder and throat, and was listed in stable condition.

Michael Thourot was shot in the left hand, and Sherri Thourot was hit in the left arm. Both were also listed in stable condition.
    Last edited by lukem; 10-05-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

So, let me get this right, no one's holding this pistol ? It's what, lying on the counter, and suddenly just starts spraying bullets?!! Well, all I gotta say is, apparently the antis are right - these things are evil.

Those are not exactly what I would call quality firearms but still this sounds a little hard to believe. Keep us posted festus if you get any updates.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    So, let me get this right, no one's holding this pistol ? It's what, lying on the counter, and suddenly just starts spraying bullets?!! Well, all I gotta say is, apparently the antis are right - these things are evil.
    Actually,you're right...except for the anti's being right...and the evil part.I know these two people very well and I was told exactly what happened. The mag was loaded and inserted, the slide was released. when the pistol was placed one the table POINTED DOWNRANGE, without the trigger being touched it went off repeatedly spinning around firing one round after another. There are other reports of the Jennings nine having this type of malfunction.
    Firearm Recalls and Safety Warnings 2- FirearmsID.com
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

What is it with Fl and shooting range mishaps? Jennings arms was part of the Ring-of-Fire group, Bryco Arms, back in the 80's. They made sub-quality firearms and are illegal to sell in some states. Even though they are of very poor quality having one just go off by itself is suspicious. Maybe 'Ghost Hunters' need to check out that range...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
    Actually,you're right...except for the anti's being right...and the evil part.I know these two people very well and I was told exactly what happened. The mag was loaded and inserted, the slide was released. when the pistol was placed one the table POINTED DOWNRANGE, without the trigger being touched it went off repeatedly spinning around firing one round after another. There are other reports of the Jennings nine having this type of malfunction.
    Firearm Recalls and Safety Warnings 2- FirearmsID.com
    Whoa...I've never heard of anything like this before and stand chastised for my sarcasm.

Didn't I read somewhere that:

"You should Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction; never point your gun at anything you don't intend to destroy"

is one of the gun safety rules?

I just wonder why the shooter had to shoot through the next stall in order to hit the target. Man, that gun range must have been poorly designed!

OH! Wait a minute; I think I get it. The shooter must NOT have been following the gun "safety" rules.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Didn't I read somewhere that:

"You should Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction; never point your gun at anything you don't intend to destroy"

is one of the gun safety rules?

I just wonder why the shooter had to shoot through the next stall in order to hit the target. Man, that gun range must have been poorly designed!

OH! Wait a minute; I think I get it. The shooter must NOT have been following the gun "safety" rules.
    Read the orgional and all other posts; the gun was pointed down range and went off by its self.

Exclamation here is what the recall actually says...it can happen...

BRYCO ARMS
    Model Jennings Nine,
    9mm LUGER caliber Semiautomatic Pistol

WARNING: These pistols may create an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITION and a POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS INJURY by firing without pulling the trigger.

During the testing of a Bryco Arms, Jennings Nine pistol by a forensic firearms examiner it was noted that it would fire upon release of the thumb safety and spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent bases. When loaded with the manual thumb safety in the “safe” position, if the trigger of the submitted firearm has been pulled stiffly a few times, the firearm will discharge when the thumb safety is moved to the “fire” position.

Disassembly of the pistol revealed some wear/damage to the sear which allows slight downward movement when the trigger is pulled. It appears due to the wear/damage the sear/striker engagement is reduced allowing the striker to override the sear after the thumb safety is released.

MANUALLY UNLOADING THIS PISTOL MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS SINCE IT COULD DISCHARGE DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Spring 2001; Volume 33, Number 2:145-147
    Illinois State Police Laboratory, Springfield - Notice, December 7, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

ummm... it was a jennings... now there's your problem..

I hope and pray for a quick recovery to all who were hit.. also hope that the owner will buy a higher quality firearm.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast