Intoxicated while Carrying
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intoxicated while Carrying

1. Intoxicated while Carrying

What is the general penalty for this infraction?

I know it varies by state but what in general is the penalty.

Any know specifically for Michigan?

Thanks

Tom

Interesting first post. I'd have to look to see what the laws actually say but I will say that I think that, illegal or not, itís very irresponsible for a gun owner/permit holder to even consider carrying while drunk.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Uh, Tom...just so ya know, most of us who hang on this site kinda frown on this kinda thing I don't know what any state penalty is and really have never thought to find out, since this is a BIG non-issue for me.

In NC, they will revoke your carry permit.

bill

Troll Alert!!!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

7. New Mexico: 30-7-4 (A)(2) NMSA
    A. Negligent use of a deadly weapon consists of:
    (1) discharging a firearm into any building or vehicle or so as to knowingly endanger a person or his property;
    (2) carrying a firearm while under the influence of an intoxicant or narcotic;
    (3) endangering the safety of another by handling or using a firearm or other deadly weapon in a negligent manner; or
    (4) discharging a firearm within one hundred fifty yards of a dwelling or building, not including abandoned or vacated buildings on public lands during hunting seasons, without the permission of the owner or lessees thereof.

B. The provisions of Paragraphs (1), (3) and (4) of Subsection A of this section shall not apply to a peace officer or other public employee who is required or authorized by law to carry or use a firearm in the course of his employment and who carries, handles, uses or discharges a firearm while lawfully engaged in carrying out the duties of his office or employment.
    c. The exceptions from criminal liability provided for in Subsection B of this section shall not preclude or affect civil liability for the same conduct.

Whoever commits negligent use of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

8. Just FYI: I think it should be a felony
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

The best thing you can do is ask your lawyer!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I think that in Alabama the standard is the same as for driving (0.08%). Seems to me that I've read the same about certain other states. I'm not sure, but some states might require that you not drink at all, such as in a restaurant. You are certainly asking for trouble by drinking while carrying.

Yeah, troll alert.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    I think that in Alabama the standard is the same as for driving (0.08%). Seems to me that I've read the same about certain other states. I'm not sure, but some states might require that you not drink at all, such as in a restaurant. You are certainly asking for trouble by drinking while carrying.

Yeah, troll alert.
    In Alabama, the issuing Sheriff makes the rules... On the back of the St. Clair County pistol permit, rule #4 states; "Your pistol permit does not allow you to carry a pistol in any place that serves alchohol or while you are drinking"...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast