Cops shoot home owner not intruder. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cops shoot home owner not intruder.

Guns, the last insurance policy I hope I never have to use. But nice to have handy when you do.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

3. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    I had an incident a few days ago where a neighbor was brandishing a weapon. I called the police and explained to dispatch the situation
    Can I ask, please, what your definition of brandishing is? You can PM me if you wish, I really do have a legitimate reason for asking.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Can I ask, please, what your definition of brandishing is? You can PM me if you wish, I really do have a legitimate reason for asking.
    "Brandishing" may not be proper in this case.

My husband and I have been having ongoing problems with the neighbor's kid. Harassing my dog, trespassing, etc. We've spoken to him and to his mother a few times.

On the day in question he came onto our property and said to my husband "I want to show you something" and pulled a large knife from his waistband. I could only see the handle, and no blade, so it was either a switchblade or folding-type knife.

I imagine that this is probably not brandishing, but considering the kid's track record, I took it as a threat and called the police.

5. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    "Brandishing" may not be proper in this case.

On the day in question he came onto our property and said to my husband "I want to show you something" and pulled a large knife from his waistband. I could only see the handle, and no blade, so it was either a switchblade or folding-type knife.

I imagine that this is probably not brandishing, but considering the kid's track record, I took it as a threat and called the police.
    I would consider that brandishing, given there was no other reason to show the knife other than to intimidate.

Some people, though, would consider me removing a jacket in a restaurant and sitting down to eat with my gun in a holster on my belt clearly visible to be brandishing, even though it is perfectly legal to do so in both WA and ID (and many other states).
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I could see some of the more sheltered cityfolk reacting that way, but you would think people in Washington and Idaho would know better.

My understanding of the law and the intent of "brandishing" is that there has to be some kind of intimidation factor. The environment you are in, the people around you, even the time of day would all effect whether you were carrying, displaying or brandishing, in my opinion.

Even in my case, had this kid not shown previous violent and devious behavior, I would have said "Oh, cool knife!" But as it is, he already established himself as an aggressor and a repeat offendor, so I cannot possibly assume his intentions were innocent.

In the case of this cop gunning down a homeowner, it's a similar thing. They were entering a terse situation, however, as far as I can tell, they not only had plenty of info beforehand, the man also never pointed his weapon at them. As a cop, you have got to be able to assess a situation like that quickly and accurately, and my feeling is, this particular cop just reacted before he knew what was even happening.

As for carrying in restaurants and such, there was a time it might have made me a little nervous. Now I think to myself "That's the person I'm with if the SHTF."

7. Thumbs down A number of facts are conveniently missing

This came up some time ago, and one of the on scene officers chimed in. The officers were not responding to the 911 call nor did they know one had occurred. They were in hot pursuit of the suspect who was presumed to be armed and dangerous. When they followed him into the home they saw a man with a gun being pointed at another man, and made an erroneous conclusion as to who was who. The dragging of the man out of the house was no different than what they would do to a downed officer, and the "I'll back you up" comment makes a lot more sense if you understand that the mistake was the result of rather incredible circumstances and the officer was simply saying they wouldn't throw him under the bus to simplify the mess. Holding the department liable for medical costs and lost wages is reasonable, but beyond that the family needs to stop boobing.

Sonofabiscuit! Well, if that's true, it extra-sucks.

This guy was trying to do what he thought was the right thing in not killing the intruder. What the heck are you supposed to do in this situation?

Some have said you should not be holding a gun when the police arrive, but this guy needed to. Other have said to restrain the intruder, but some have advised against it. And of course many advocated for immediate termination, but not everyone wants to face those implications.

This just stinks no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Some people, though, would consider me removing a jacket in a restaurant and sitting down to eat with my gun in a holster on my belt clearly visible to be brandishing, even though it is perfectly legal to do so in both WA and ID (and many other states).
    And if you happen to do that at the local Applebee's and post about on this forum, you can expect to get chewed out by kelcarry. As I seem to remember has happened before.

10. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Sonofabiscuit! Well, if that's true, it extra-sucks.

This guy was trying to do what he thought was the right thing in not killing the intruder. What the heck are you supposed to do in this situation?

Some have said you should not be holding a gun when the police arrive, but this guy needed to. Other have said to restrain the intruder, but some have advised against it. And of course many advocated for immediate termination, but not everyone wants to face those implications.

This just stinks no matter what.
    My take on this is that:
    - in general you probably should shoot an intruder at your first oportunity (and not just because you want them dead - a lot of cops have been killed by violent scum bags they thought were being compliant and you shouldn't expect to fair better all by yourself in your own home).
    - Sometimes the stars are aligned against you and you are screwed no matter what you do. Such is life. Live with it today. Accept that it might kill you tomorrow. Then choose to keep on living anyway.

If someone breaks into your home, you shoot them. If you dont, you are not in fear of your life the way I see it. The decision to shoot or not is your own based on that fact.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast