Gun Selection guidance needed pleas. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Selection guidance needed pleas.

I am partial to my revolver and feel comfortable with it. I like the revolver for personal protection since there is no safety to "off" and the misfire issue is solved with another pull of the trigger. It’s reliable and goes bang every time I use it, no matter what kind of ammo I use at the range. Last weekend I put about 175 rounds of old reloads and a box of old Remington Police Service 38S&W spec. (lead round nose) close to 30 or more years old!!! 4" groups at 35 ft and I'm no pro shooter!! Revolvers are simple to load and maintain.
    Now...
    With that written… I am waiting for the funds in my PayPal account to clear so that I can get my hands on a Smith and Wesson M&P 45acp. It will be easier to carry concealed in the warm weather, but it will take time for me to get used to...
    As stated above in other posts, try many (rent at ranges that do so) and choose “The One”. Make sure it’s one that: Allows you to shoot well (consistently), feels comfortable when fired (recoil is manageable for both you and your wife), and allows you to conceal it when needed. Another consideration with autos is reliable performance with personal protection ammo. Again try many choose one… Keep range notes for each of the ones tried and note the entire experience for each type. As far as expense… Get ready for the cost of ammo (which has been on the rise), the cost of range time. I spent $20.00 today and the weekend before and I’m in the process of applying for a membership at a private sporting club that a friend of mine is a member of (Good idea in the future if you would like to spend time getting proficient with your tool of choice). The cost of the firearm itself will also be an expense as well as a good holster for you and for your wife. I've been told that the CrossBreed SuperTuck is a good investment so I'm going to try one with the M&P and I'll post my results.

Many things to think about so ask questions, read all the advice (especially from this site, so many wise old owls here) and post your results so others will benefit. Good luck…
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Oh yea... HAVE FUN WHILE DOING ALL OF THIS!!!!

I would also second the advice about two guns. One for both you and your wife. She is the only one that can protect her 24 hours a day. Besides you might get into a situation someday when you need someone to cover your back and it will be really nice to have your wife armed when that happens.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by surfcc View Post
    My brother lives in Tulsa and has been to the US Shooting Academy! Top notch from he tells me. We have the S&W facility out in Springfield (2.5 hrs from here) and the Sig Arms facility up in Exeter, NH also about 2 hrs from here. I haven't been to either yet, but am dying to go.
    I'll be heading out to S&W once I get my M&P45. I'm gonna get the trigger pull toned down a bit from the MA compliant 12+lbs!!! Also going to add the manual thumb safety (another MA compliance blunder!!! Since when is an added manual safety non compliant!! Anyway, ignore my ranting). Maybe it's time for a convoy!!!

Snowflakes

Personally I prefer the .40 S&W over 9mm but aside from the difference in caliber, I was just recently looking for a new EDC. I had planned on getting a Glock 23 but when "playing" with the Glock 23 and the Springfield XD40, the XD just fit my hand a little better and I liked the trigger pull better. I, to my own surprise, wound up going with the XD. Oh, I guess another thing that helped sell it was the ambidextrous mag release (lefty here). I've always owned right-hand-oriented guns so it's become natural to manipulate my left hand fingers to operate the right-hand oriented mag releases but it'd be nice to have a lefty-friendly gun for once.

It comes down to snowflakes. Yes, I said snowflakes. You know, the saying how "we're all like snowflakes, each one individual and unique"? It goes for guns, too. What works best for one guy may not work well for the next. Especially when there's a gender boundary being crossed with a mutual firearm. I've got big hands for a man, and my wife has small hands for a woman. I don't think there's a gun out there that will fit us both really well. There are only a couple of autos that fit her hand - we ended up getting her a Taurus 851 CIA 38Spl revolver. The same goes for carry options. I personally am very comfortable carrying IWB in the appendix position. Most people seem to experience some discomfort when sitting (driving) while carrying in that position. Doesn't bother me a bit. I think a lot of folks wear a should rig more comfortably than I do. Different hands, bodies, shapes, sizes, etc..

SO... like it's already been said, you need to try some different guns on for size. Find out what rides comfortably, what shoots comfortably, what fits your hand comfortably, what guns have a better natural point of aim for you than others... Now that you CAN carry, it's time to personalize!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12