Want to purchase wife a new pistol as a gift. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to purchase wife a new pistol as a gift.

My wife paid for both of our 9mm's and we did not have any trouble putting mine in my name. It is not who pays only the name on the ownership papers.

3. Quote Originally Posted by copelandtm View Post
    My wife paid for both of our 9mm's and we did not have any trouble putting mine in my name. It is not who pays only the name on the ownership papers.
    Can we ask exactly HOW yours got put into your name?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Can we ask exactly HOW yours got put into your name?
    I'm guessing the same way I did when I lived in California back in the early 90's. Walked into the police station with it in a locked Cal DOJ aproved locked carrier ( it was field stripped, the cop laughed her ass off as I started passing it peice by peice under the glass.) , and asked to have it transfered in to my name from my grandmothers Name when she passed on. Not to mention that I had to register the 3 15 round mags that she had for it before the hi cap ban date.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Psyk00diver View Post
    I'm guessing the same way I did when I lived in California back in the early 90's. Walked into the police station with it in a locked Cal DOJ aproved locked carrier ( it was field stripped, the cop laughed her ass off as I started passing it peice by peice under the glass.) , and asked to have it transfered in to my name from my grandmothers Name when she passed on. Not to mention that I had to register the 3 15 round mags that she had for it before the hi cap ban date.
    My question was directed to a poster who lives in GA. GA has no firearms registration, that's why I was wondering how he accomplished it.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I think a LOT of folks mistake the paperwork (standard ATF 4473) they do when purchasing a gun a store as a "registration". Not so... (although it certainly feels like it). That paperwork stays with the dealer and is not submitted to any agency for record keeping.

At most, even is a private sale, there is no actual transfer paperwork - most of us create a bill of sale in the
    event that some agency tries to do an end to end trace of the weapons history.

But here in Georgia - No registration - no transfer required - the only MAJOR issue is that IF by some strange chance his wife was ineligible to own the gun - then this could be considered a straw purchase, if she's good... then it should all be good... (btw - I would phrase it that he is purchasing the handgun for himself and will then later gift it to his wife - he is NOT purchasing it on behalf of his wife... fine line - but that is what straw purchasing is all about...)
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

When purchasing a gun for home protection, it might get used by anyone in the home, because it is for home protection which includes anyone else in the home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12