CC in church - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CC in church

In Ohio you have to have permission from the church.... I still carry no matter what...usually on an ankle rig so there's no chance of accidental printing or exposure when reaching you hands high in the air or sitting down...

A church is a high targeted area for a religious extremist active shooter... The group of guys I train with all attend the same church and we have rehearsed different scenarios

New York has no law against carry in church.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Scott, i just moved to GA from FL. Scott, I NEVER sit in a restaurant with my back to the door. My wife teases me about it. I don't want to break the law, but I disagree with the law that prohibits CC in church. When I was in FL, I ALWAYS encouraged/urged my CCW members to CC in church! Bruce, thanks for the quote and links.

Thumbs down Church Carry in SC

Church Carry in SC has been made overly cumbersome. It can be legal if you can prove that you fall under an exception, to an exception, to an exception to the law that makes carrying firearms illegal. Let me explain,

It is illegal to carry a firearm on or about your person in this state,
    unless you fall under certain exceptions. One of these exceptions is if you have a carry permit. Except that this exception does not apply on the premises of a religious sancuary. Unless,you fall under an exception to that exception and have gotten permision from the authority over the religious sanctuary.

It breaks down like this, officer spots you carrying somehow on church property and stops to question you. You must produce a carry permit to prove that you fall into that exception to the law, simple enough. However this exception does not cover you on church property as the officer points out. You must now prove that you fall under the "have permision" exception.

It is convoluted, more so than it should be IMHO. Church Property should be legally treated like any other private property and that includes property tax IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PackingPastor View Post
    Scott, i just moved to GA from FL. TUTS (I meant to say), I NEVER sit in a restaurant with my back to the door. My wife teases me about it. I don't want to break the law, but I disagree with the law that prohibits CC in church. When I was in FL, I ALWAYS encouraged/urged my CCW members to CC in church! Bruce, thanks for the quote and links.
    I said "Scott" twice by mistake.

This seems to be the answer to my original question (at least a limited answer):

Before concluding the Second Amendment analysis, the Court will also briefly address Plaintiff Wilkins’s contention that the statute is unconstitutional because it prevents him from keeping a firearm in his office at the Tabernacle. As with the home worship question, the Court does not reach the issue of whether such application of the statute would be unconstitutional because the statute does not prohibit Plaintiff Wilkins from keeping a firearm in his office at the church.
    Although the statute generally prohibits persons with valid Georgia Weapons Licenses from carrying a firearm in a place of worship, the statute also provides that the prohibition on carrying in the unauthorized locations listed in subsection (b) does not apply to, inter alia, “a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival . . . and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon . . . and explicitly follows the security of management personnel’s direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon.” O.C.G.A. 16-11-127(d)(2). As a result, the statute would allow Wilkins to keep a firearm in his office if he obtained permission from security or management personnel of the Tabernacle and kept it secured or stored as directed. If management or security personnel at the Tabernacle, which presumably includes Wilkins as CEO, did not grant him permission to secure or store a firearm in his office, then that would be at their discretion. Plaintiffs do not argue, however, that they possess a constitutional right to carry a firearm onto private property against the wishes of the owner or controller of the property.

btw Pastor....

There are also a couple of pieces of legislation that we are watching -

One adds license holders to the list of exempt persons, another removes places for worship from the list of restricted places altogether. GCO is watching/supporting/working with the General Assembly toward these ends (at a minimum.... there's ALWAYS more work to be done - but they're chipping away at it constantly)
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

well i live in ohio and our preacher allows us to care open or concealed. he carries and so does most of the men's group i'm part of. our church is in kind of a bad area and our being armed has stopped one mugging already. we were leaving services and a few friends and i were headed to lunch and then a pick up game of baseball when we saw a guy holding a knife trying to take a woman's purse. well one of my friends called the cops while the rest of us just walked over with our hands on our guns (i was the only one who drew) and ordered him to the ground. the whole time he was yelling "please don't shoot me" cops came, arrested him, took our statements, and he ended up convicted of attepted aggervated robbery. that is why chuch carry is importent.

Update?

Any news on the lawsuit?

Anyone hear anything on the lawsuit?
    Luke 22:36 NKJV - "Then [Jesus] said to them, ". . . he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Exodus 22:2 NKJV - "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast