Ammo Bill Hits Georgia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Bill Hits Georgia

Ammo Bill Hits Georgia

SB 12 has started through the Georgia Senate. This is the same basic bill being introduced in several states requiring serial numbers on ammunition before it can be sold. Maybe it's time to start writing your reps.

Georgia General Assembly - SB 12

I wonder what motivated this guy to introduce such a bill. I'm glad that there were no co-sponsors to the absurd legislation.

I'll be sending a letter to the senator this afternoon.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

A couple of years ago, I would have said that there was no way this bill would pass. However, in the current political climate, which unfortunately heavily favors Democrats riding the coattails of Obama, I can no longer say that. Let's just hope that legislators see this bill for what it really is and give it the defeat it deserves.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I've been wondering about this one. I am not sure to the specifics. Is the intent to find a bullet casing on the ground and then be able to link it back to the individual who purchased the bullet? Who would be the holder of this information?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii(( View Post
    I've been wondering about this one. I am not sure to the specifics. Is the intent to find a bullet casing on the ground and then be able to link it back to the individual who purchased the bullet? Who would be the holder of this information?
    My guess is that under the bill, the process for purchasing ammo would be just like the process for purchasing firearms, and that the same agencies responsible for keeping track of firearm sales within the state (if there are any) would now also be responsible for keeping track of ammo purchases too. Obviously, this could prove problematic because with this being a state law, and not a federal one, this means that because there are no federal agencies responsible for doing this, a new agency would have to be created in the state to do this.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I've been reading more about this bill and it seems it might just be a way for the state to apply an additional tax to ammunition....looks like it comes down to revenue.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii(( View Post
    I've been reading more about this bill and it seems it might just be a way for the state to apply an additional tax to ammunition....looks like it comes down to revenue.
    That's not entirely true. If you read the parts about "given or lent" it is a way of tracking ammo. As follows:

16-11-191.(a) On and after January 1, 2010, all handgun ammunition manufactured in this state, sold or offered for sale in this state, imported into this state for sale or personal use, kept for sale in this state, or given, lent, or possessed in this state shall be coded by the manufacturer of the ammunition in accordance with the rules and regulations of the department.(b) Not later than January 1, 2012, all noncoded handgun ammunition, whether owned by private citizens or commercial entities, shall be disposed of in accordance with the rules and regulations of the department.

16-11-192.(a) Not later than January 1, 2010, the department shall establish and maintain an ammunition coding system data base.(b) All manufacturers of handgun ammunition shall register with the department in a manner prescribed by the department by rule or regulation and shall maintain records on the business premises of the manufacturer for a period of seven years concerning all sales, loans, and transfers of handgun ammunition to, from, or within this state.

Only place this bill stands a chance is in states like Kalifornia, NY, IL, MA etc. Can't imagine it'll get much support where common sense reigns supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    Only place this bill stands a chance is in states like Kalifornia, NY, IL, MA etc. Can't imagine it'll get much support where common sense reigns supreme.
    California already has it. Effective 2010. The nice thing is the law says the technology must be unencumbered, it's not. One company holds the patent, they are not releasing it. So our ammo is fine.
    "A kind word only goes so far, a kind word and a gun goes a lot further" 1924
    Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996
    [email protected]

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CA CCWInstructor View Post
    California already has it. Effective 2010. The nice thing is the law says the technology must be unencumbered, it's not. One company holds the patent, they are not releasing it. So our ammo is fine.
    Really hate to say this, but this bill is NOT the microstamping issue whereby a firearm will stamp an identifying mark on fired cases. This bill requires the manufacturer to mark Ammo (not just the box) with a Lot Number and requiring the buyer to Sign For the ammo by Lot Number. The database refered to will track ammo from Manufacturer to Retailer to Buyer. If a Lot Number you signed for is later found on a bullet at a crime scene, "you got some 'splainin to do." Also, "THEY" will know exactly how much ammo, in what calibers, you bought; and when you got it. Since the bill includes ammo that is "lent", we will need to track how many rounds we shot at the range, who we gave that old box of "a caliber I no longer own" to.

Oh, yeah, that 5K round stash you have for SHTF day? You'll have to turn it in with little or no renumeration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast