Cocked & Locked

Cocked & Locked

1. mappow
    mappow
    I keep my 1911 in the cocked & locked position. Any ideas how long it should be kept in this position? I concerned about the hammer spring. Also how often do you cycle out fully loaded clips? I try to rotate every couple weeks or so. But not really sure. Any help would be appreciated.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)
  2. Red Hat
    Red Hat
    Keep it cocked & locked as long as you want. All of my firearms that are SA stay C&L. It won't hurt the springs. Hammer and magazine springs are compression springs and are are designed to stay in that position. I only cycle my carry ammo every six to nine months. I fire them off then replace them with new ammo. I do this to make sure my ammo has not been contaminated not because of the springs.
  3. KimberPB
    KimberPB
    +1 to what Red Hat said. I've carried a 1911 almost everyday for the past 5 years. It stays cocked and locked unless I'm at the range or cleaning it. Never had an issue with it.
  4. mappow
    mappow
    Great info, thanks! It's the reason I joined and support the Site.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)
  5. jason
    jason
    Cocked & Locked Rocks The only time my hammer goes down is when i pull the trigger
  6. Hiliner
    Hiliner
    Just found this group and wanted to say hi. I'm a Montana guy who carries a 1911 myself.
Quantcast