As a female, why did you decide to arm yourself?

As a female, why did you decide to arm yourself?

1. Conservative Wife & Mom
    Conservative Wife & Mom
    Let us know what brought you to this decision...or were you raised around guns and they've always been a part of your life?

As for me...growing up, I had uncles who hunted and had guns in their homes for that purpose. But, my dad didn't own any guns, so wasn't raised in a "gun friendly environment". On election day, Nov. 4, 2008, I told DH that we'd better consider purchasing some guns while it was still legal to do so. And, the ball started rolling from there. DH and I both got our concealed carry permits this past Autumn and enjoy going to the indoor AND outdoor ranges often.
  2. imadragonkeeper
    imadragonkeeper
    I grew up around guns - my stepdad was a dealer. I rarely went shooting, I didn't have alot of interest at the time but he always made sure that my sister and I knew how to load/unload, check safety etc of any new gun he brought into our home. As a result we were neither gun curious or afraid of guns. When I grew to adulthood the thought of purchasing a gun for home defense came and went several times but nothing ever came of it as my ex husband really had no interest.

When I married my current husband 4 1/2 years ago that all changed. He was an avid hunter - both bow and rifle and had also been around and owned guns for most of his life. He always talked about getting another pistol someday. We started talking one day about getting our CCWs and carry pistols and this fall we finally did it. Funny thing is I got mine first and I actually carry more than he does :)
  3. KathleenElsie
    KathleenElsie
    Step father was a LEO (shot in the line of duty). Husband gave me a .380 for a wedding present, we lived in Dade County Florida (enough said). Live in the country. Problems now invading from the PA Turnpike and no local LEOs. State Police just takes to long if there are problems.
  4. Conservative Wife & Mom
    Conservative Wife & Mom
    +1, Kathleen. A lot can happen in the 5...10...15...20 minutes it takes for LEO to respond to a 9-1-1 call! By that time, they could be investigating the murder of an innocent unarmed citizen. Thanks to that wonderful document called the Constitution of the United States of America, we have the 2A RKBA and it would be insane not to exercise it!
  5. LilRedMeanie
    LilRedMeanie
    Grew up around shotguns and rifles my whole life (both my parents were in the service, my dad was Navy, my mom was Navy and then Army). When I was pregnant with my first child I had a handgun pointed in my face by the father of the child and I had been scared of them up until recently. Got with a guy who is an avid hunter and handgun owner (him and his dad) and he started teaching me, letting me shoot his guns, getting comfortable with them. This past summer I purchased my first handgun a Ruger .380 (had already owned 2 rifles previously), then shortly after I bought my first shotgun (Benelli). Took classes, acquired my hunter's license and my Concealed Carry Permit. And now I don't ever leave home without one (or sometimes two!) of my guns.
  6. eagleeyes
    eagleeyes
    we couldn't even play with squirt guns as children in my parents household
    when i was married i caught someone trying to break into our house and my husband gave me a derringer which i never fired or used it sat in my underwear drawer all while i was married loaded and off to the side and back where i was careful not to touch it....and when i left got divorced i left it behind
    years later a friend had a gun for sale and i bought it for home protection- shot it at a range that same day with him just to check make sure it fired so i put a few mags of rounds through it after he done the loading and all. i took it home and my son readied it for me to use if i needed to and it sat under my bed for years in a box . sometimes my son would take it to range and re ready it for me and under the bed it went.
  7. eagleeyes
    eagleeyes
    part two of how i decided to conceal carry..

.honestly i was afraid to go near that box for years lol but when a recent rash of robberies occurred in my area and my neighbor was robbed of her purse in her driveway i thought of that old gun and that i should stop being afraid of it and learn to use it effectively and safely ........so i educated myself about gun basics via googling on the computer .... and asked my son to take me to a range where he could show me how to handle it safely and all. which he did. and told him i wanted to get a concealed permit and that he should too and we went to apply, mean while i'm practicing my gun skills safety and tactics and feel much more comfortable with that gun than i have in all the years i had it. by time my permit comes i'll be ready to confidently carry it as a defense tool if needed as crime rates are way up in my city and a woman cop also encouraged me to carry so here i am on my way to being yet another armed american woman
Quantcast