The Prosperity Gospel

The Prosperity Gospel

1. Treo
    Treo
    I spend a lot of time hammering on the Prosperity Gospel here and thereís a reason for it. I went to a Prosperity Gospel church for a long time, The Pastor isnít a bad guy and Iím convinced he sincerely believes what heís preaching but every Sunday he would say that Godís intent for Christians was to get them saved, shower them with material blessings, make them healthy and then set them up as an example to the World of how good God treated Christians. IOW ďcome to Jesus for the material benefits.Ē

The problem I have with this (and I can not tell you WHY I didnít see it then) is that it contradicts the Bible. Jesus made it clear that Christians (really everyone) would have trouble in this World. He said that weíd have trials; He said weíd have tribulation but that He would be our peace. The Bible also says over and over again that the pursuit of riches is a snare and that we arenít to pile up wealth in this world
  2. Treo
    Treo
    Didn't realize there was a limit here's part two
    (He wasn’t saying it was wrong to be prosperous, he was saying that Prosperity shouldn’t be your aim and it most assuredly should not be your rationale for coming to Christ.

Another thing they pushed in this church was the concept that anytime you give to God there’s a payoff, you give to God and He showers you with (financial) blessings. Now, before I go any further let me be clear, tithing is Scriptural, it’s New Testament and it is specifically endorsed by Jesus. I don’t have a problem with the idea of believing God for provision (again, that is Scriptural and it is New Testament) but God isn’t a quick pick ticket.
    So what I have problem with is when I see these Prosperity Gospel preachers (intentionally or not) playing off either people’s desperation because they think money is the answer to their problems or their greed it bothers me and I sound off.
  3. UATKP
    UATKP
    I agree with you, Treo!! Preach on! :)
Quantcast