Gun safety at home

Gun safety at home

1. chiefpropellerhead
    chiefpropellerhead
    If you live in the Lowcountry you heard the news reports about the 3yr old girl who found a loaded gun in her parents bedroom and fatally shot herself. You can see the news story at the following link.

Coroner's Office: 3-year-old girl fatally shot herself - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

All the details have been released however it is evident the gun was not secured and the child found it and the results were deadly. This is a horrible tragedy that could have been avoided. A gun should never be left unattended in a house with small children.

Many years ago my son, who is now 25, found my .45 caliber 1911 duty weapon lying in the bedroom, in the off duty holster. I was living with my family in a HUD property doing security for free rent.

(continued)
  2. chiefpropellerhead
    chiefpropellerhead
    (continued from original post)

It was a fairly dangerous place to live and I felt the need to always have my weapon close by. It was morning time and I had taken a shower. When I went into the bathroom, my son was in another part of the apartment with his mother. Little did I know, that he would crawl into the bedroom and start playing with the weapon.
    Needless to say, I was very lucky he was unable to remove the weapon from the holster, or release the safety. It could have very easily ended in the same horrible tragedy as this little girl.
    Today, the children that live with me are 16 and 19 years of age. I do not leave my Glock23C in the holster unattended. Wherever I go in the house the Glock goes with me. All other weapons are secured in a steel safe with a digital keypad.

When I hear stories like this, I am reminded of how close I came, to having to endure the heart ache of losing a loved one, because I was too stupid and careless to secure my weapon.
Quantcast