How young is too young?

How young is too young?

1. Boots&Guns
    Boots&Guns
    I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. Obviously the 1 year old is to young, but my husband and I have started to teach my 4 year old about the importance of gun safety and how dangerous they can be. With a lot of his Daddies help, he has shot a BB gun and .22. I think that it is important to teach them early, so if they ever do come across one, they will know what it is and be aware of the danger. That in mind, I recently heard about a little boy that got a hold of a gun and accidentally shot himself with it. We keep our guns locked in a safe unless we are using them and we never walk out of the room when they are out. I was brought up around guns (my grandfather owned a gun shop), but I know every family is different. Are there any other opinions out there?
  2. whodat2710
    whodat2710
    I think every child should know about gun safety, even if you don't have guns in your house. What if your child goes to a friends house and they aren't as careful about guns as you are? Even if that training is just knowing what a gun looks like, always assume they are REAL and loaded, and they are not toys - it's better than nothing. If you have them in your house and love guns, they should also learn not to be afraid of them. Just my opinion. I have 3 daughters 22, 17 and 14, and we shoot. It's our "quality time" and I wouldn't give it up.
  3. 2Aactual
    2Aactual
    Good on you for teaching the importance of gun safety to your 4 yr old. Much credit where credit if often not given.

I say 4 yrs old is the prime age to teach firearm safety as it is 4 yr olds who are just starting school. The 4 yr old mind is developing and eager to soak up knowledge and the liberals know this and take advantage of this for their goals. Beat them to it and teach proper gun safety, then your sons and daughters will educate the anti-gunners when they are challenged in school.
Quantcast