Wolf Woes
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Woes

Wolf Woes

Went to the local range the other day. Took the USP40 along with several different brands of ammo. In the past, the HK had been trouble fee. That is until I had a fail to extract while using the rather inexpensive Wolf brand. This is the type with the dull metal casing. After stripping to piece down and manually removing the case, I found the case was splint.

I understand that this is not all that uncommon with reloads, since one may not know how many times the brass had been recycled or what kind of load was put in it. This was new factory ammo! So what are your thoughts? A weak casing, undersize, quality issue?

Quote Originally Posted by timusp40 View Post
    Went to the local range the other day. Took the USP40 along with several different brands of ammo. In the past, the HK had been trouble fee. That is until I had a fail to extract while using the rather inexpensive Wolf brand. This is the type with the dull metal casing. After stripping to piece down and manually removing the case, I found the case was splint.

I understand that this is not all that uncommon with reloads, since one may not know how many times the brass had been recycled or what kind of load was put in it. This was new factory ammo! So what are your thoughts? A weak casing, undersize, quality issue?
    Some ranges do not allow Russian ammo, and Wolf brand specifically..
    I'm not sure of the reasoning, but it seems like your experience is probably in line with there ban. IMHO

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I have heard lots of bad things about Wolf ammo. I avoid it like the plague.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

It doesn't take Russian ammo for a major screwup. Dig this: last year was invited to the local cop shop range. Dropped a NEW box of Remington .45 from about knee height and a frickin' round went off! New box, never been opened. Needless to say, the SHTF momentarily.

The ONLY time I use Wolf Ammo is in 7.62x39mm in an AK. I figure the Russians have gotten that right. Never had any problems with it in AK's. Everything else, no way to the Wolf. Cheap crap with a varnish type coating, that scrapes off in your chamber, then heats up and melts. But after it cools down, leaves a varnish type coating in your chamber that you have to scrape and scrub out. Shot some in a AR-15 at the range. The loads were totally inconsistant. Some loads were louder than others, recoiled more than others, hit point of impact differently than others, which leads me to believe the powder was old, maybe damp, or the amount of powder varied. This was a brand new case that was opened at the range. Never again.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Here is an excerpt from a post from a pistol manufacturer about their experience with Wolf Ammo..

"I have only seen the claw break off one of our extractors twice, and both customers were using Wolf ammunition with the lacquer sealant on the steel case. What happens is the lacquer reacts to the heat of the barrel and turns into a gum/glue that will fuse a spent casing in the barrel. I had one barrel with a cartridge stuck in it that required a punch and a big hammer to pound it out."

I think I'll spend the extra couple of bucks for some other brand of ammo..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Some ranges do not allow Russian ammo, and Wolf brand specifically..
    I'm not sure of the reasoning, but it seems like your experience is probably in line with there ban. IMHO
    Many ranges won't allow Russian ammo because they use a steel core instead of lead in their bullets (you can check this with a magnet). The steel damages concrete backstops at ranges. I've used Wolf in both my AK and AR rifles. It works fine in the AK, however in my AR, after about 60 rounds the chamber is hot enough to melt the polymer coating on the casing causing it to get stuck. I have to tap out the stuck casing with a cleaning rod and a small mallet. I now limit my use of Wolf to 50 rounds before switching back to brass casings. When my supply of Wolf runs out, I won't buy anymore .223.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by timusp40 View Post
    ... I had a fail to extract in my HK USP40 while using the rather inexpensive Wolf brand.
    How many rounds had you fired prior to the failure? The issue Gutman described below IS a known issue with using Wolf brand ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutman View Post
    ... in my AR, after about 60 rounds the chamber is hot enough to melt the polymer coating on the casing causing it to get stuck.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Ammo or HK Problem

Thanks to all of you that replied to my issue with what I think is related to Wolf ammunition. So there is a obvious problem with the coating that their factory applies to the casings. If you read the replies in the thread, the coating comes up in 3 different descriptions: lacquer, ploymer and varnish. Doesn't really matter to me. What ever the coating is, my HK doesn't like it!

I was loading 5 round mags (in relatively slow fire) as usual. The Wolf case that split and stuck in the chamber came at about 6 mags or 30 rounds.

It will be interesting to read the reply from Wolf (If I get one).

I only have limited experience with Wolf. I've bought and shot multiple case lots of 7.62X39, 5.45X39, .308, .223, 9X19, 9X18, and .45ACP -- I've never had a problem with any except for the occasional failure to fire.

If you'd like to send your problem Wolf ammo to me for further investigation just drop me a PM--I'll get you my address.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast