Okay, I'm ready to start! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay, I'm ready to start!

Keep a log of all your loads. Great to go back to at a later date for info. Here's one that I print out and use.

http://reloadbench.com/pdf/reloadlog.pdf
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Thanks, Red. I'll use that if I may. After all: Immigration is the gratest form of flatulence. Well, I think that's how it goes. ;)
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

You can also scan the log to your computer and create files for each gun you reload for.

Shot My First 20 Rounds Yesterday!

I loaded the "minimum recommended charge" in these first 20 rounds of 230grain 45ACP. I checked the powder charge in each of the first 3, then in #5, 10, 15 & 20. All were within a tenth grain of "on the money".

I used the caliper to check the OAL of every round. I had read on another site about someone being concerned with the crimp and whether or not the round had bulged in the crimping process. One contributor suggested a Dillon Case Gauge. I have ordered one but couldn't wait. I mean, I've been patient, but... So, what to do? I broke down my Sig P220, took out the barrel and slipped all 20 rounds in and out. This worked while I'm waiting for that Case Gauge to arrive.

So, I get to the range and put a magazine of factory loads through the Sig, so I can't blame the gun if my loads suck, right? (I just love the shove of the 45ACP!) Then I loaded the first 6 handloaded rounds so that #1 ended up first, etc. I had numbered each round with a Sharpie as I "built" them so I could make any notations as needed. I set the target at 21ft. Here's how my 20 rounds played out:
    • All were way underpowered - the minimum starting load was exactly that, minimum
    • All 20 hit the paper :)
    • None skipped off the floor or bounced off the paper target :o
    • There wasn't enough power in the charges to eject the spent casing and shove the next one home; I had to chamber each round
    • BUT ALL OF THEM FIRED :D
    • And I have all of my body parts

Now that I have a reference point, I've increased the load from 4.2 to 5.1 grains. I made the next 20 rounds and went through the same process of weighing, checking the OAL and sliding them in the barrel. I'm not disappointed. All 20, while underpowered were consistent, I have gotten a good start on how to use the equipment, I'm well on my way of establishing a routine (which I'm convinced is very important) and nothing blew up.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice! Your selflessness is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by benzuncle View Post
    I loaded the "minimum recommended charge" in these first 20 rounds of 230grain 45ACP. I checked the powder charge in each of the first 3, then in #5, 10, 15 & 20. All were within a tenth grain of "on the money".

I used the caliper to check the OAL of every round. I had read on another site about someone being concerned with the crimp and whether or not the round had bulged in the crimping process. One contributor suggested a Dillon Case Gauge. I have ordered one but couldn't wait. I mean, I've been patient, but... So, what to do? I broke down my Sig P220, took out the barrel and slipped all 20 rounds in and out. This worked while I'm waiting for that Case Gauge to arrive.

So, I get to the range and put a magazine of factory loads through the Sig, so I can't blame the gun if my loads suck, right? (I just love the shove of the 45ACP!) Then I loaded the first 6 handloaded rounds so that #1 ended up first, etc. I had numbered each round with a Sharpie as I "built" them so I could make any notations as needed. I set the target at 21ft. Here's how my 20 rounds played out:
    • All were way underpowered - the minimum starting load was exactly that, minimum
    • All 20 hit the paper :)
    • None skipped off the floor or bounced off the paper target :o
    • There wasn't enough power in the charges to eject the spent casing and shove the next one home; I had to chamber each round
    • BUT ALL OF THEM FIRED :D
    • And I have all of my body parts

Now that I have a reference point, I've increased the load from 4.2 to 5.1 grains. I made the next 20 rounds and went through the same process of weighing, checking the OAL and sliding them in the barrel. I'm not disappointed. All 20, while underpowered were consistent, I have gotten a good start on how to use the equipment, I'm well on my way of establishing a routine (which I'm convinced is very important) and nothing blew up.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice! Your selflessness is greatly appreciated.
    Congrats on the first set of loads. What type of bullets were you using?? 230gr FMJ? What type of powder? Were did you get the load data? 4.2 grains seems way on the low side and jumping up to 5.1 grains is a big jump. I'm loading 230gr lead bullets with accurate #2 and the powder spread is 5.0 to 5.5 grains. I know FMJ bullet powder charge is a little lower but just curious.

Post the powder and bullet type and I'll double check the data for you. Min loads should still cycle the gun.

KimberPB, I'm using Hodgdon's HP-38. 4.2 is the start load for FMJ's. I was being very cautious. After reading some comments from others, I chose 5.1 being close to but not necessarily full tilt boogie loads. BTW: that load rating came from the carbide die package in my Lee Dies. The bottom line is that I learned a pile with 20 rounds and expect to learn more with the next 20. Thanks for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by benzuncle View Post
    KimberPB, I'm using Hodgdon's HP-38. 4.2 is the start load for FMJ's. I was being very cautious. After reading some comments from others, I chose 5.1 being close to but not necessarily full tilt boogie loads. BTW: that load rating came from the carbide die package in my Lee Dies. The bottom line is that I learned a pile with 20 rounds and expect to learn more with the next 20. Thanks for your interest.
    Ok thanks for the info. Just wanted to double check cause 4.2 to 5.1 was a big jump. Didn't want you to load something to hot and get hurt.

When I'm doing load workups I take the max load and subtract the min load then divided that by 5. Then load 5 to 10 rounds per increment. Labeling each. Then go to the range and shoot from a supported position to see what load works the best. Just make sure you check for signs of pressure when you get close to max and if you see any stop. I usually borrow a friends chrono and if the load reaches max FPS but not at the max load I stop.

Congratulations, benzuncle! Now you have the bug. Those first rounds felt good even though they didn't eject, didn't they! I usually look at the high and low charge and start in the middle. I've found that the low charge is usually too low. Congrats again and welcome to the wonderful world of reloading!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Congrats on your first loads. Always better being safe, as you stated you found a routine. when you find the right load everything should go smoothly for you and you'll be safe. If you change anything in the load back off a little and make sure it works right,even changing primer brands can make a difference.
    Myself I've never liked using the lee loading data,they usually refer to using their measure cups and the number on the cup didn't weigh the same amount of grains when put on the scale so I only use the scale now.
    Let us know how the next trip goes at the range.

All this great advice. Dang! And yeah, I got the bug. Prolly gonna call in sick for a couple days. he he.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast