Okay, I'm ready to start! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I'm ready to start!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Now you can see what less than 1 gn difference will do. That's the reason you check and check and check your loads as you reload.
    I used the same process "building this second 20 that I did the first 20: Checked rounds 1, 2 & 3, then 5, 10, 15 & 20. Boy, was I stoked when they flew down range! It felt good to feel that 45ACP shove once again. I'm really looking forward to this. :D
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Good to hear. How accurate are [U]YOUR[U]loads or did you just shoot? Now you can reload for the whole trip to the range. Those 500 bullets will be gone in a flash. Have fun shooting them up.

"57", I aimed just below the center of the target at 40ft and that's where most of the rounds hit. At 21ft. the bullseye was pretty well shot up. The bullseye is something like 4in. I wasn't really trying to deadeye anything. I was just having a blast shooting my own ammo, both one and two-handed.

Now that I have a "formula for 230gr. I've set up and begun loading. I had to reset the primer puncher in the Lee because those first rounds were all new brass. Now I've added the used stuff I picked up and tumbled. I took the time to punch out the primers and clean the holes before repriming and loading. Now I'm wondering if it is worth it to deprime before I tumble the brass. Any thoughts? I'm still not worried about speed, just good, reliable stuff and having my setup perfected. The Dillon case gage is worth its weight.

Quote Originally Posted by benzuncle View Post
    "57", I aimed just below the center of the target at 40ft and that's where most of the rounds hit. At 21ft. the bullseye was pretty well shot up. The bullseye is something like 4in. I wasn't really trying to deadeye anything. I was just having a blast shooting my own ammo, both one and two-handed.

Now that I have a "formula for 230gr. I've set up and begun loading. I had to reset the primer puncher in the Lee because those first rounds were all new brass. Now I've added the used stuff I picked up and tumbled. I took the time to punch out the primers and clean the holes before repriming and loading. Now I'm wondering if it is worth it to deprime before I tumble the brass. Any thoughts? I'm still not worried about speed, just good, reliable stuff and having my setup perfected. The Dillon case gage is worth its weight.
    For .45 ACP plinking ammo I tumble then resize and deprime. Then I have a large/small primer pocket cleaner if I feel they need cleaned.

If you do tumble after you deprime make sure you check each round to make sure none of the media is stuck in the flash hole.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    If you do tumble after you deprime make sure you check each round to make sure none of the media is stuck in the flash hole.
    Very important step.

I don't deprime befor tumbling unless I was shooting and the brass was
    landing in mud or water puddles or sand. Media stuck in the flash holes seemed more work to get out than just tumbling with them left in.
    I still check brass after tumbling for media that can get stuck inside the case.

Thanks all. That answers that. ;)

Ok, it been a little while how is the shooting and reloading going? Have you order more bullets yet?
    If you served in any branch of the Military, THANK YOU

Shoot.. Funny you ask. I went to the range today and concentrated on the target, not my loads. The reason: the 5.1gr of HP-38 shoves the 230gr RN just fine. I'm going to order a micro disk and charging bar from Lee so I can tweak if I feel the need. I really impressed myself with the first target. Punched a nice hole in the center with 5 of the first 6 rounds, albiet from 21ft. At 15yds. my accuracy fell off some, but I was practicing DA/SA, etc. I'd hit 3 in a 3 to 4 inch group, then the next round would want to see how close to the edge of the target it could get without missing completely. Some contrary rounds, those. I only ran 170 rounds through the Sig before switching to my NAA 380 for some also-needed practice. I am way pleased :D with the rounds I've loaded. And yes, I need to order more bullets right away. (I've only got 250 rounds of 45ACP left!) I picked up 320 rounds of decent brass today and have already tumbled half of it. Once again, I really appreciate the help and supportiveness of you folks. Oh yeah, one more thing: What about the aluminum looking casings? Blazers maybe? I left it all laying there, but there was a pile of it. But something told me...

Aluminum Blazer brass is best left in a pile on the range. They have Berdan primers and are considered Non reloadable.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast