Corbon Pow'R Ball vs. Winchester PDX1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corbon Pow'R Ball vs. Winchester PDX1

Corbon Pow'R Ball vs. Winchester PDX1

Heya guys, Im trying to make a decision between these 2 rounds for my 9mm. I currently use the Winchester PDX1, but am hearing a lot of great feedback on the Pow'r ball rounds. Anyone have experience with both rounds and have an opinion on the 2 rounds?

Here's a person that compared expansion on several self defense rounds. I've always like Corbon but the Winchester did the best.

THR - View Single Post - Some CCW Ammo data

He compared the following rounds.

Winchester PDX1 Bonded 9mm 124gr +P, Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr, Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball 9mm 100gr +P, Federal Hydra Shock 9mm 124gr +P

He said he got 12.5 inches of penetration from the PDX1
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Thanks, I appreciate that info. Looks like Ill stick with the PDX1.

Under perfect conditions every round will perform as advertised. Problem is, you rarely have perfect conditions in the real world. Try shooting half a dozen rounds of each through layers of clothing like denim or jacket material. I think you'll find the Powerball or Critical Defense style round will perform better more often than a traditional "hollow" JHP.

From testing that I have seen and performed I'd go with the PDX ammo over the Powerball any day of the week. The Winchester bullet is very reliable in expanding through heavy clothing.

I'd only use the Powerball if JHPs were banned from use.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I'd only use the Powerball if JHPs were banned from use.
    That's one of their main selling points. Also some revolver speed loaders don't work well with hollowpoints.

I have both the PDX1 and Critical Defense in my mags. I figure give the BG one of each in case THEY have a preference..

I liked the results for both with expansion... PDX1 is good stuff, sort of the same technology that was the Black Talon..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    That's one of their main selling points. Also some revolver speed loaders don't work well with hollowpoints.

Indeed, but that issue is mostly confied to NJ. The Powerball is nowhere near as good a choice as a quality JHP, although I have found in some older pistols that were never made to run with JHPs the Powerball is a good choice due to a very reliable feed profile.

In revolvers I have never had an issue with JHPs, I have when trying to speedload LSWCHP though.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    ...although I have found in some older pistols that were never made to run with JHPs the Powerball is a good choice due to a very reliable feed profile.
    That too.

11. Here is a link showing the Winchester thru denim. Winchester PDX 9mm/124gr./+P Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast