Powder Life expectancy, expiration
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Life expectancy, expiration

Powder Life expectancy, expiration

How long can powder be kept before it is considered unsafe to use (assuming it is kept dry)? I have some that is probably 9 years old - can I safely use it or should I dispose of it? Thanks.

I have used 10+ year old Unique.

No problems noted.

-Doc

At that age I would load a few and test fire then load a batch

I asked the tech at Alliant Powders how long the shelf life of Unique was.

The reply was "30 or 40 years if you keep the temperature reasonable."

I have fired ammo from the 50' and 60's that was just fine.

-Doc

i dont know about powder, but i had some 15-17 year old ammo that still worked just fine. would not use it for carry ammo, but to kill paper it worked just fine.

If you keep it cool and dry it will keep for years. I'm using some Unique and Bullseye that I had packed away since 1986. For the loads I'm loading they chronograph to correct velocities.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

If it's been kept in a reasonably control temp/humidity environment it should be just fine. Just to be safe, maybe you could
    use that powder for practice rounds and use new powder for your personal protection rounds.
    Kill them all and let God sort them out!

I'm still shooting powder from the early 70's, and it's fine. All of it has been stored in an air conditioned environment. I know guys still shooting IMR 4831 DATA powder that was purchased in bulk in the 50's. All are getting satisfactory results with it. I recently shot some .300 Win. Mag. reloads I had that were made in the early 70's. All went bang, and did so quite accurately I might add. Properly stored powder and ammunition has an all but indefinite shelf life. Bill T.

If you're worried about it just throw it on your lawn it's good for the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTTAHERE View Post
    If it's been kept in a reasonably control temp/humidity environment it should be just fine. Just to be safe, maybe you could
    use that powder for practice rounds and use new powder for your personal protection rounds.
    That's kind of my plan, except I use factory ammo for personal protection. .38 and .357 ammo is getting really expensive and I figured it would be a good time to start loading a few rounds up.

The powder has been kept dry but it has been in my garage (non air conditioned). It's not an oven in there but temps can probably hit 90 degrees plus in the summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast