Federal HydroShock vs. Powerball - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal HydroShock vs. Powerball

Well, Bighouse, I, too, am getting a little long in the tooth. I've used the Hydra shoks since the early 90's as my carry ammo. Every six months or so I shoot a box through the Sig P226 at the range. In that time I've had no failures. Frankly, I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guy.

3. Quote Originally Posted by MikePapa1 View Post
    Well, Bighouse, I, too, am getting a little long in the tooth. I've used the Hydra shoks since the early 90's as my carry ammo. Every six months or so I shoot a box through the Sig P226 at the range. In that time I've had no failures. Frankly, I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guy.
    Take a look at some of the tests done on youtube with the PDX1 versus the Federal hydroshock. The PDX1 is also a bonded bullet, the Hydroshock is not.

I use the 115 gr +P+ Hydra Shok. The video I saw showed a lack of weight retention perhaps, but what would result in a massive wound cavity. I'll think on changing by trying some other rounds, but until something shows that a double tap center mass won't do the job, I'm not overly concerned.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MikePapa1 View Post
    I use the 115 gr +P+ Hydra Shok. The video I saw showed a lack of weight retention perhaps, but what would result in a massive wound cavity. I'll think on changing by trying some other rounds, but until something shows that a double tap center mass won't do the job, I'm not overly concerned.
    Have you read at all on a bonded bullet. I think it has a large advantage over a regular JHP or hydroshock.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePapa1 View Post
    I agree with you. I have used Hydro shocks for a long time also, and feel confident that it will work. I also use the Hornady "Critical Defense" in 115gr. for my 9mm's. By the way, the M2 Browning is a really old gun - they still use that don't they? Personally, a BB is really old and I would not want to stop one of those either!

The Hydrashock wouldn't be my choice for carry loads, although in .40 it's not horrible as far as available choices go. I would not go with the Powerball unless I lived in New Jersey and could not use JHP ammo.

The Gold Dot, HST and Winchester Ranger-T lines are all far better choices than the Hydrashock.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    Cor Bon has QC issues.If you look at Seecamps ammo recommendations he writes that so nobody uses it.
    Explain.

While I have personally had issues with the QC at Cor Bon in the past (squib loads in a case of 115gr +P 9mm, as in LOTS of squib loads), since the move to Sturgis I have found no issues with their ammo.

They had serious issues with the workforce in Detroit before the move, this was the real problem with their QC back then.

All of the major ammo companies have issues at one time or another, I have seen bad ammo from CCI, Federal and Winchester as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePapa1 View Post
    This might give you some information:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    Thanks for the link mike, very very informative. I think I'll go let my .45 federal hydra shok fly at the range and buy a more up to date defense round.
    "Democracy... is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty ... is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."-- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12