Has reloading become even more important?

Thread: Has reloading become even more important?

Has reloading become even more important?

Do you guys think reloading has become even more important that it has been in the past? Given the shortage of ammo (which has somewhat subsided), and the fact many of us predict that there will be another "gun grab" in the future, do you think that it is getting to the point that anyone who wants to own a firearm, even the occasional shooter, develop at least a working knowledge of reloading?

I can see this happening. However, the problem I see is that if ammo becomes more heavily restricted, reloading components will also become more restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Do you guys think reloading has become even more important that it has been in the past? Given the shortage of ammo (which has somewhat subsided), and the fact many of us predict that there will be another "gun grab" in the future, do you think that it is getting to the point that anyone who wants to own a firearm, even the occasional shooter, develop at least a working knowledge of reloading?

I can see this happening. However, the problem I see is that if ammo becomes more heavily restricted, reloading components will also become more restricted.
    YES, YES AND YES! Get whatever you can while you can. Ammo can always be used for barter if necessary.
    The more restricted it is the more valuable it will be.
    Kill them all and let God sort them out!

Quote Originally Posted by OUTTAHERE View Post
    YES, YES AND YES! Get whatever you can while you can. Ammo can always be used for barter if necessary.
    The more restricted it is the more valuable it will be.
    A big +1
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

5. I wouldn’t worry about the availability at all. Primers are really the only difficult item to reproduce. Powder no problem, bullets no problem. IMHO I think what could happen is that the government could mandate manufactures of primers to give them let’s say six months and they will no longer go bang. Enjoy, have fun and don’t worry. Besides whom are you going to defend yourself against, the government? Remember WACO? All the ammo and weapons in the world will not stop a guided missile from reaching you home.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about the availability at all. Primers are really the only difficult item to reproduce. Powder no problem, bullets no problem. IMHO I think what could happen is that the government could mandate manufactures of primers to give them let’s say six months and they will no longer go bang. Enjoy, have fun and don’t worry. Besides whom are you going to defend yourself against, the government? Remember WACO? All the ammo and weapons in the world will not stop a guided missile from reaching you home.
    Not so much worried about making a stand against federal troops as I am just being able to enjoy shooting and hunting, and being able to defend myself with a firearm against common criminals/home invaders. Probably not the place to ask but how do you reproduce powder?

If an M1 Abrams shows up in my yard I have a plan for dealing with it - Running!
    Last edited by SC Tiger; 10-01-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: More detail

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    ...do you think that it is getting to the point that anyone who wants to own a firearm, even the occasional shooter, develop at least a working knowledge of reloading?
    Yes, particularly since some states want to toy with such assinine ideas as "balistic fingerprinting (sic) databases", micro stamping, and bullet serialization. Buck the trend and reject all of these backdoor atempts at gun registration.

In the NJ forrum, some guy asked about mailing his spent brass to friends in NJ. More power to him, encouraging reloading in NJ is a GREAT idea. Is it a coincidence that the guy in question is a South Carolinian? You tell me SC Tiger.

8. This is an old post but it has become even more important today than it was when first posted. Zero wants your guns AND ammo

9. Yesssssssssssss, more than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have to ask why.......................

Sorry if I shouldn't be bumping something this old.

I never thought about reloading until recently. Prices have come down some, but sure are not awe inspiring. If one wants to take their defense seriously one needs to go through a lot of ammo. The cost savings in reloading add up over time so I am starting to think about learning to reload myself.

If you are not reloading, you are not shooting enough.