.40 reload test fire

Thread: .40 reload test fire

1. .40 reload test fire

I just shot my H&K .40 Cal with reloads i done my self. I reloaded with Blue Dot powder with 180gr FMJ. I shot one clip with factory loaded ammo that was 165gr. I know the difference in grain will make a difference but i was all over the paper! What do yall recomend that i change so that i can shoot more accuratley. I'm extremely new to reloading so any help will be much apprieciated. Thanks

The H&K series of .40 caliber pistols do not use clips to feed ammunition, they all use detachable magazines. The only .40 caliber pistol that uses clips to load ammunition is the S&W 610 revolver which can be loaded with either .40 S&W, with moonclips, or 10mm, with or without moonclips.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Just06 View Post
    I just shot my H&K .40 Cal with reloads i done my self. I reloaded with Blue Dot powder with 180gr FMJ. I shot one clip with factory loaded ammo that was 165gr. I know the difference in grain will make a difference but i was all over the paper! What do yall recomend that i change so that i can shoot more accurately. I'm extremely new to reloading so any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
    Consistency in reloading is a big factor. But there are a lot of equations that come in to play. It could be the load configuration(I.E type of powder, amount of powder, case length, set bullet depth, even primers)Just to mane a few thing that could change accuracy, You might want to start with different grains of powder. I usually start out low In powder weight and work up 1/2 grain at a time till I find a load that is pretty consistent off the bench and comfortable to shoot. I could go a lot more in depth but this should get you going in the right direction..

G50AE: Did I use the correct terminology?...
    My family is protected by god and a gun would you like to meet them both..

I shoot my reloads with my glock .40's and I have had very good results. I use either Federal or CCI primers only. I have had some problems with Remington primers being to hard. I use HP-38 or Win 231. They are the same powder and burn rather clean. I have found that the Berry's 155gr round nose hollow base bullets to be quite accurate. I use 6.0 grains of powder and seat the bullet to the factory depth but watch your crimp. Buy a caliper and check the bullet depth against a factory round. Once you get your press set at the right depth and crimp, make ten or so rounds and test fire them. I recently purchased some MagTech 165 gr hollow points loaded them with 5.3 grains of powder and at 25 feet my grouping was excellent. I wouldn't hesitate for a second carrying them for self defense. I started reloading when Clinton was elected so I have been doing this for a while. It takes time but when you master it there is no better feeling than rolling your own.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Just06 View Post
    I just shot my H&K .40 Cal with reloads i done my self. I reloaded with Blue Dot powder with 180gr FMJ. I shot one clip with factory loaded ammo that was 165gr. I know the difference in grain will make a difference but i was all over the paper! What do yall recomend that i change so that i can shoot more accuratley. I'm extremely new to reloading so any help will be much apprieciated. Thanks
    There are several things that could be at play here:

1) How consistent were you in the loads? Did you weigh every charge or did you use a powder dispenser? One trick I came up with is to set the dispenser a little low and use the power trickler to bring it up to the proper weight. Saves time and is still accurate. Were they all the same overall length? Variations in length can lead to pressure variation within the case, which leads to inconsistent results.
    2) Some guns just don't like some loads. Fact o' life. Two guns made by the same guy on the same day, using components made by the same machines at the same time from the same material may like two completely different loads. Just the way it is. I have a revolver that shoots one load dead center, another load 3" low and a third load dead on for elevation but 2" to the right! Figure that one out.
    3) Were your bullets high quality or cheapos? If they varied in weight they would be all over the place.
    4) Did you use mixed cases? Mixed primers? Two different containers of powder?
    5) If you're like me, the first magazine you were just thinking "I hope they all work!" which is a little distracting.

Uncle Wade is right - consistency is the key.

How good or what size groups were you shooting with the ammo you used before?