Home Defense ammo!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Defense ammo!!

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    It costs money, but try it and make sure it will cycle reliably in your gun...
    +1 on that. A gun fight is no time to learn that your chosen ammo doesn't cycle very well in your carry weapon, or that your sites don't line up very well with your chosen ammo.

handgonnetoter Guest
    I use either 115 gr. Critical Defense or BVAC 124 gr. JHP.

4. I use Gold Dot 230gr based on an extensive test I read a decade ago. I don't really know if anything better has come along, but I know GD 230's function in all my defensive weapons and will get the job done.

Cost of changing defensive ammunition can be prohibitive when you consider how much testing you should do, in every weapon, to be sure it will function 100% of the time.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

5. Quote Originally Posted by p95_9mm View Post
    What does everyone think is a good Self defense ammo? Has anyone used Winchester 147 G Hollow points??
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    It costs money, but try it and make sure it will cycle reliably in your gun...
    6shooter covered the 1st question just fine.

I've owned over a dozen pistols in 9mm over the years (including 4 different Hi Powers alone) and no 2 have ever liked the same exact JHP round. Now, I've had some that worked well with the same load but I've never had 2 that had the same 'best' load.

A carry load HAS to be 100% reliable. No FTF's, FTE's, ... AND it needs to be reasonably accurate (1 holes aren't necessary but all shots in the bottom of a Coke Can if you do your part is a reasonable goal).

As for the 147gr 9mm load, I'd avoid it.

The theory is sound on paper- kinda- but in the real world, it isn't practical. With that heavy a bullet weight, you are lucky to get 1000fps (hence the 'subsonic' part. The speed of sound is 1140fps at sea level). Most JHP bullets need a velocity of 900-1000 fps AT LEAST to operate as designed. You are already on the edge of that with the published velocities and they can't be trusted.

In the ammunition world, the numbers listed on the box are from test labs using test barrels of unknown (or at least rarely published) barrel length. Longer the barrel, higher the velocity because there's more time for the powder to burn and expand while pushing the bullet. Longer the expansion, the faster the bullet goes until all the powder is burned and friction with the barrel sets in which slows the bullet or the bullet leaves the barrel and the rest of the powder is burned as flash.

If they used, as an example, a 6 inch test barrel and got 1,000fps and you are shooting a 4.5 inch barrel, you are NOT going to get 1,000fps. You may get 900 or you may just get 800. (1 inch of barrel length normally means 50 to 150fps of velocity depending on burn characteristics of the propellant used). It really varies from gun to gun- even if the guns are identical in every way except serial number. The only real way to see is to shoot ammunition in YOUR gun over a chronograph and see what's really happening. For the sake of saving you a range trip and a chrony session, I'd just go to a lighter bullet weight. In my experience, 9mm's seem to perform extremely well with the 124-5 to 130gr bullet weights both in velocity and accuracy.

My first round in my HD is a glazer because I got my Grandson living with me the rest are Hornady critical defense.
    I was Born an American I Have Lived as an American I shall Die as an American
    Remember those who died for you! And who Killed them !

I have been reading a lot about Federal 230 grain Hydrashok JHP (P45HS1), as I am researching what round I want to carry. A lot of tests I have seen, it performs great until heavy clothing is in front of the ballistic gelatin-i.e. winter clothing, then it has little expansion and a lot more penetration.

I am currently researching the Hornaday 45 ACP 185 gr Critical Defense, but because it has a nickle casing it isn't recommended for my USP-c....anyone know of something with similar performance with a brass casing (HK recommends only brass casings in the USP series)?

Quote Originally Posted by vettefreak View Post
    I have been reading a lot about Federal 230 grain Hydrashok JHP (P45HS1), as I am researching what round I want to carry. A lot of tests I have seen, it performs great until heavy clothing is in front of the ballistic gelatin-i.e. winter clothing, then it has little expansion and a lot more penetration.

I am currently researching the Hornaday 45 ACP 185 gr Critical Defense, but because it has a nickle casing it isn't recommended for my USP-c....anyone know of something with similar performance with a brass casing (HK recommends only brass casings in the USP series)?
    Hornady Critical Defense ammo has nickel plated brass casings, not nickel casings. It's completely safe to us in your HK.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

If you're concerned about excessive penetration of wallboard (like if you have children in another room), then 55 gr 5.56mm softpoints are one of the best choices. 9mm goes through a lot of walls.
    - enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

I have COR-BON 115g DPX +P in both my Glock 19 HD gun in the bedside safe and the Glock 26 EDC. I have Hornady Critical Defense 90g FTX in the LCP BUG.

The DPX bullet is the Barnes all copper X-bullet. I've had good experiences with the rifle version of them in hunting rifles on both varmints and deer. This ammo cycles flawlessly in both the Glocks I use it in which should be no surprise, so far my Glocks eat everything I put in them with no issues.

Fitch

Gold Dot short barrel 124gr JHP+P ammo

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I've gotten away from traditional HPs and use Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense FTX in all my handguns. I like what I've seen in expansion tests under various circumstances compared to traditional HPs. They also nearly eliminate feed problems that HPs have at times in certain guns.
    I have read the latest recommendations and I agree with all of them, especially the negative on the 147 gr. Not a good idea in a carry gun. The 124 gr give optimum performance in the guns I tried them in better accuracy and still good velocity. The Gold Dot short barrel 124gr.JHP+P are superb in performance the penetration is amazing for a JHP. They feed perfectly but of course you should always check them in your particular gun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12