Home Defense ammo!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense ammo!!

Home Defense ammo!!

What does everyone think is a good Self defense ammo? Has anyone used Winchester 147 G Hollow points??

Quote Originally Posted by p95_9mm View Post
    What does everyone think is a good Self defense ammo? Has anyone used Winchester 147 G Hollow points??
    I've gotten away from traditional HPs and use Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense FTX in all my handguns. I like what I've seen in expansion tests under various circumstances compared to traditional HPs. They also nearly eliminate feed problems that HPs have at times in certain guns.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I've gotten away from traditional HPs and use Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense FTX in all my handguns. I like what I've seen in expansion tests under various circumstances compared to traditional HPs. They also nearly eliminate feed problems that HPs have at times in certain guns.

I wonder if Scheels or Walmart has Hornaday Ammo

I'd stay away from 147gr 9mm subsonic rounds unless you are doing something odd like firing them through a suppressed MP-5. Go with a more proven 110gr or 124gr 9mm load.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I'd stay away from 147gr 9mm subsonic rounds unless you are doing something odd like firing them through a suppressed MP-5. Go with a more proven 110gr or 124gr 9mm load.
    Thanks! I was gonna go with the Remington golden saber hollow points 124 G. :D

The Golden Saber is a proven round that should serve you well.

Yea that's what i hear!!

The 3 I use are Corbon +P 115gr JHP, Winchester Supreme Elite +P 124gr JHP bonded ( was told these are the rounds the FBI uses) and last Federal 124gr Hydra-Shok JHP. From looks the Winchester will have no problems at all penetrating the target and the Corbons have a huge hollow point hole in them. I have not had a problem with any of these in my Glock 19. The only down side is they cost $1.20 per bullet or more and shooting 100 rounds through your every day carry can get expensive. I was informed that you should shoot at minimum 100 rounds of the ammo you are going to use in your gun through it before trust your live to it.

FWIW, the Remington Golden Sabre 102gr. 380ACP round is my prefered round for that caliber. I know this is a thread about 9mm ammo, but I feel that this info may amplify my previous post.

It costs money, but try it and make sure it will cycle reliably in your gun...

Hornady Critical Defense does well in expansion tests even with heavy clothing in the equation. Penetration was good but not to the point that over penetration would be an issue, something to consider in a home shooting situation. I have 2 kids and a wife (and a cat, but the cat and I have an understanding) So I'd rather not have ammo that will pierce heavy barriers... Hornady TAP XTP is another good defensive ammo.

Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 also does well in expansion testing. Its the Black Talon technology. I know its available at Wal-Mart, I get mine there. I use the 38special+P in my 357 revolver for home defense and alternate the Critical Def and the PDX1 in my M&P's in case the BG has a preference...

The Remington Golden Sabers will work fine. Federal Hydra shok 124gr...
    Winchester Ranger T...Black Hills if you really wanna spend a little extra...

Point is; try it and make sure it works in your gun and you can hit the BG where it counts... Placement beats magic bullets
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast