Personal Defense Ammo Debunked - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal Defense Ammo Debunked

My worst nightmare is some moron cranked up on PCP. I've heard of them taking many rounds and keep coming. I use Hornady when I can, even when I have to carry my LCP I use Power Ball. Never know what the situation will be, so use the best you can. FMJ is cool to plink with, but when your life depends on it, spend the extra buck & get the best.

I think the point is .......

It must go bang.... EVERY TIME

You must hit what you aim at....

Magic bullets are marketing hype.

If there were amazing feedback from they who actually shoot people with the magic bullets.... the world would be flocking to buy the fancy schtuff.

Buy from the top 3-4 major manufacturers

and

1) the rounds WILL go bang every time.
    2) Shoot until the threat is neutralized.
    3) Then later you can worry if they mushroomed and caused enough fatal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    This is true but it seems that everyone keeps thinking that the only effective shot with a .22 is in the eyesocket. Many years ago a friend of mine was killed when the pistol his father was "playing with" fired. My friend was 14 at the time, was hit in the chest and the gun was a .22 revolver. A .22, .25, .32 etc. are all very dangerous if handled improperly. I had another friend that almost lost his leg due to a pellet gun and one who lost an eye to a BB gun. Safety is always first and foremost when guns are involved.

Sure there are single shots that were fatal.
    President Reagan was shot with a 22, how many times? Where?

Just remember please, that some people say that more people are killed by 22s than by any other round.
    (OK, if you count assassins with supressed 22s.)

Maybe, but in the 30 minutes it takes them to bleed to death, they are really gonna be really pissed off and can do you a whole bunch of serious bodily harm.

If you are going to stop someone by using your 22, you better have a really good aim for vital areas. A glancing shot off the skull doesn't slow them down.

Also, being shot at and missed is no fun,
    but neither is being shot at and HIT. ouch.

This is true but it seems that everyone keeps thinking that the only effective shot with a .22 is in the eyesocket. Many years ago a friend of mine was killed when the pistol his father was "playing with" fired. My friend was 14 at the time, was hit in the chest and the gun was a .22 revolver. A .22, .25, .32 etc. are all very dangerous if handled improperly. I had another friend that almost lost his leg due to a pellet gun and one who lost an eye to a BB gun. Safety is always first and foremost when guns are involved.
    Yep.
    My ex sister in law died from a 22LR shot to the chest. She bleed internally and died before the squad got there.
    I wouldnt choose to carry a 22, but I certainly dont want to be shot by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Yep.
    My ex sister in law died from a 22LR shot to the chest. She bleed internally and died before the squad got there.
    I wouldnt choose to carry a 22, but I certainly dont want to be shot by one.
    A hit with a .22LR will do a lot more damage than a miss with a hand grenade.

Dang! You SC boys play rough! Where I grew up we just played with baseballs, footballs, kick balls and girls! The last being the most dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Dang! You SC boys play rough! Where I grew up we just played with baseballs, footballs, kick balls and girls! The last being the most dangerous!
    Heck, that was just the examples of small caliber stuff. If you move up to larger caliber or shotguns I have a lot more stories, some deadly and some almost funny. One fellow I know had a .25 auto go off in his back pocket while driving a tractor. Not gun related but one friend and his cousin were out cutting wood and my friend laid his trigger finger on a stump and dared his cousin to cut it off. Part of the reason he was rejected from the Army is that he didn't have a trigger finger any more. Yup, he was crazy too. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I think the point is .......

It must go bang.... EVERY TIME

You must hit what you aim at....

Magic bullets are marketing hype.

If there were amazing feedback from they who actually shoot people with the magic bullets.... the world would be flocking to buy the fancy schtuff.

Buy from the top 3-4 major manufacturers

and

1) the rounds WILL go bang every time.
    2) Shoot until the threat is neutralized.
    3) Then later you can worry if they mushroomed and caused enough fatal damage.

Well stated sir.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12