Best Defense Ammo for .40 S&W
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Defense Ammo for .40 S&W

Best Defense Ammo for .40 S&W

I have a S&W M&P .40 and I am looking for a round that is reliable. I was looking at hornady critical defense ammo but i heard the rubbery tip can often cause malfunctions with some guns.

So now I am kinda stuck on what to get and have been looking at Hornady TAP and DoubleTap's 135 Gr. round that has 567 lbs of energy. just looking for more insight. Thank you

I've been carrying a custom handload for years in .40S&W. It's a Nosler 135 gr JHP with 12.5 gr of AA#7 powder and CCI primers. Basically, it's Corbon's 135gr .40 load. I chose this load about the same time that Corbon began marketing theirs in the early 1990s. I've had excellent accuracy with this load and the penetration is typically about 13 inches in soft media, which is desirable. With all that said, I came upon some information not long ago that has given me cause to re-evaluate my choices in ammo.

Scroll about 1/4th of the way down and you'll see an interesting comparison of wound cavities in ballistic gelatin.
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo S&W

You won't see this said outright, but you might as well find a reasonably priced quality ammo that performs well. For the money and performance, Remington Golden Saber might just be the best deal out there.

I used to carry Hornady TAP 155 gr in my Glock 23, until I shot through a wall, a cabinet and halfway through an oven and after digging the bullet out it had zero expansion but still had part of a doughnut in the tip! (I wasn't meaning to test the round by the way) I then went to Speer Gold Dot 180 grain, I highly recommend it, and most every LEO I've talked to says its the best round and has excellent penetration and expansion.

I use the 155gr. Speer Gold Dot as one of my ammo options. I am also partial to the Remington Golden Saber, Triton Quik-Shok, PMC Starfire, and Glasser Pow-R-Ball rounds.

Pdx1

I use Winchester PDX1 like it said the Feds know and it shoots pretty good out of me M&P PRO 40 . 180 gr. hope I never have to use them ever !!!!

I use wnchester 155 gr silvertip JHP good penetration and expansion light recoil, the experts say 94% one stop shots.. cant confirm this cause I aint shot noone yet , but if I do I'll let ya know the outcome :)

Quote Originally Posted by tactical85 View Post
    I used to carry Hornady TAP 155 gr in my Glock 23, until I shot through a wall, a cabinet and halfway through an oven and after digging the bullet out it had zero expansion but still had part of a doughnut in the tip! (I wasn't meaning to test the round by the way) I then went to Speer Gold Dot 180 grain, I highly recommend it, and most every LEO I've talked to says its the best round and has excellent penetration and expansion.
    Come on man we gotta here this one
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

There is no JHP handgun ammo that will expand through building materials, unless you start shooting concrete blocks.

Basing carry ammo choice on an ND through building material is ridiculous.

The Ranger-T, Gold Dot, HST and Golden Saber lines are all top notch. Pick the cheapest one in 165gr or 180gr that is reliable in your gun and you'll have nothing to worry about.

i shoot a M&P as well and along with my xd-40 subcompact, they are loaded with winchester t series, federal hst, winchester pdx1, or speer gold dots. i like 155 grain or 165 grain. i have other ammo as well, but 99% of the time its the loads above that get carried. all have great stopping power and all preform well imo.

Winchester SXT LE ammo...works first time every time!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast