380 ACP bullets

Thread: 380 ACP bullets

380 ACP bullets

Just curious, I have been looking everywhere for a good price on 380 acp 95gn hornady xtp bullets.

Now 380 and 9mm are both .356 in size. If I find a 95gn 9mm JHP/XTP would that work for the 380 reload? Size and weight are the same right? Would there be any other difference?
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Am loading XTPs right now into 380s. Have some FMJs to stuff also. Yes, they are the same diameter for 9s and 380s

Blog Entries

Hornaday Critical Defense ammo

Greyryder doesn't specify just what the problem is that he's having with .380 Hornaday Critical Defense ammo. If it's merely a question of accuracy then I think he's well advised to stick with it as virtually all defensive shooting situations are at ranges of 7 yards or less and precise accuracy isn't necessary for an experienced shooter at that range. The ony thing counts (IMHO) in serious defense situations are the terminal ballistics and the Critical Defense ammo has the highest rating in that catagory of any factory ammo that I'm familiar with. Of course, if greyryder's problem with Critical Defense .380's relates to feeding, jamming, failing to fire, etc., etc., then Critical Defense ammo is obviously a "no no" in that particular pistol.

rpeckham

5. They should work fine. The differences are most likely cosmetic (a crimping cannelure in a different spot for each intended chambering if there's one present). It's the same diameter, same profile, same weight, and same composition from the same manufacturer.

Isn't the standard 9mm 19mm long and the .380 is 9mmx17mm?

When in search for the Hornady XTPs for my .380 I had to go with Fiocchi Extrema XTP. Same bullet on a Fiocchi load. I love em. Picked em up at CheaperthanDirt.com.

7. Quote Originally Posted by LPC1625 View Post
    Isn't the standard 9mm 19mm long and the .380 is 9mmx17mm?

When in search for the Hornady XTPs for my .380 I had to go with Fiocchi Extrema XTP. Same bullet on a Fiocchi load. I love em. Picked em up at CheaperthanDirt.com.
    He's not talking about fully loaded factory ammunition, just the bullets (the part that comes out the barrel) themselves.

Both the .380ACP (or 9mm Kurz or 9x17mm) and the 9x19mm use the same bore diameter and the same diameter projectiles. He was making sure a 95gr .356" XTP bullet that was marketed for the 9x19mm would work if used in a .380 reload.

I thought the 9x19 was longer than the 9x17 (projectile only) and sat slightly deeper into the case, which is where they typically get their extra weight.

Learnin new stuff all the time.

9. Quote Originally Posted by LPC1625 View Post
    I thought the 9x19 was longer than the 9x17 (projectile only) and sat slightly deeper into the case, which is where they typically get their extra weight.

Learnin new stuff all the time.
    Nope, the difference is in the case length, not the bullet. Since both are semi auto rounds- that means, as a rule, they headspace off the case mouth rather than the rim- they are NOT interchangeable like a .38 Special and .357 Mag. And remember, 9x18mm or 9mm Makarov is a completely different animal. It uses a different bullet diameter and it's components are NOT interchangeable with the other '9mm' rounds on the market.

If you find a 9mm revolver that uses moon clips like a 1917 Smith or colt, it can shoot .380's. If you just stick them in the chambers, they won't work because of the difference in case length. (The Uberti replicas of the Colt Single Action Army in .357Magnum can be gotten with a spare 9mm cylinder. It won't shoot .380's because of this.)

If you are talking about bullets that weight the same amount and have the same basic shape, they will be the same length. But a 124gr 9mm bullet will be longer than a 95gr .380 bullet only because there's about 25% more lead and jacket there.

Actually, if you are reloading for a .38 special or .357 magnum, you can use lead bullets that were intended for use in 9mm, .38 Super or .380. According to the 'books', lead bullets for 9mm and such are sized .356". The nominal bore for .38/.357 is .357". A 1/1000th of an inch variance in lead bullet diameter isn't unusual or a issue (lead is malleable and will squeeze down or 'bump up' under firing to fit the bore to make up for that slight variance), so they will work.

One of the more popular .38 special loads in Cowboy Action Shooting uses a lead 147gr 9mm/.38 Super bullet for this reason. I know a few folks that shoot CAS that cast their own bullets and intentionally don't resize them because the 'oversized', as cast, 9mm bullets drop from the molds measuring around .358" and that's prefect for use in a .357 or .38 Special revolver.