Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

1. when i first read about the 357 sig i thought,somebody finally got it right. after owning and shooting a couple it is no .357 mag which i feel is the best cal. a man can tote for self defence but only because you get many strange looks walking into wal-mart with a 12 ga. slung over your shoulder!!!! that being said i made the choice of a .40 cal. mod.22 glock gen 3. for many reasons,one of the biggest is the cost of ammo for practice. because if you don't take your time at the range to heart, and learn your weapon and every little thing about it and the way it feels,works and shoots you might as well get a slingshot and a bag of cat eye marbles to use as your self defence weapon

I'm no expert, but I heard that the ballistics of .357 SIG is similar to 10MM... If true then wouldn't there be a problem with over-penetration... That was the problem that LEO had with 10MM... Very good choice if you are law enforcement and you know you're going after someone especially violent, or are expecting your target to be wearing body armor... The other problem with over-penetration is the bullet retaining energy... .45, .40, in my opinion are better for that purpose because there is much less risk of over-penetrating, and your bullet striking someone un-intended... .40 S&W was created to solve 10mm's problem of over-penetration... its a 10MM short... Responsible ammo selection is the most important regardless of your ammo choice... Good frangible hollow points will greatly reduce the likely-hood of that... At any rate .357 SIG may be an excellent round, I just don't know enough about it, and am already sold on .45, and .40 so I haven't really looked at a lot of other calibre's

The 40 Short and Weak (OK, got that out of my system) was NOT created to take care of any imagined problem of over-penetration. It was created for two reasons: 1) A lot of people could not handle the recoil of a full loaded 10mm, and 2) the weapons made to handle the 10mm were rather large. Since a lot of agencies using the 10mm had already specified lower powered 10mm loads, it seemed logical to develop a weapon that shot the same bullet, at the same velocity as the emasculated 10mm "police" round, yet would fit in the same weapons currently using the 9mm round. In actuality, the 40S&W is one of the few "compromise" rounds that really works out well. I have a CZ-75B chambered for that cartridge, and used to have a Browning Hi-Power chambered for the .40S&W. The only problem with the 40S&W is that it achieves its potential at very high chamber pressure. One needs to be careful handloading it, and one needs to be wary of setback since this can drive the chamber pressure to "blue pill" pressures.

For my part, I prefer the 10mm over the .40S&W for the purposes that I have for this caliber of bullet. I use the 10mm for field use, replacing the .357 Magnum revolvers that I used to carry. For field use, I use full jacketed bullets because they do penetrate, and I like the Glock 20SF because it fits my large hands and gives me 15 quick shots in a weapon that is ridiculous easy to field strip when used in the worst conditions. I have modified the weapon with an aftermarket barrel and titanium pins, since everything said about pressure regarding the 40S&W also applies to the 10mm. As to over-penetration when using the weapon for self defense against human targets, I am not the least bit worried about the 150 grain Nosler bullets that I load over a full charge of 800-X. If I were using the 180 gr Federal FMJ that I carry in the field, I would be terribly worried.

5. Thanks for the info. Just got the Sig P250 compact in 40sw with the 357sig barrel. Be testing both out next week. Bit of trouble finding bulk 357sig in decent price. What is the average price for them and any more suggestions on good online stores? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IChangIT View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just got the Sig P250 compact in 40sw with the 357sig barrel. Be testing both out next week. Bit of trouble finding bulk 357sig in decent price. What is the average price for them and any more suggestions on good online stores? Thanks.
    I have yet to find .357 Sig in bulk. That is the problem with that round. There is a lot of good ammunition made for it, but you almost have to order it from the internet. I am lucky that I have a Cabelas nearby that keeps a good stock of .357 Sig ammo on hand. Online, I use Cheeper than Dirt and MidwayUSA. There are others, but these are the two that I use for most of my shooting supplies. Also, most of the people that I know using .357 / .40 combinations use the .40 for practice and carry with the .357 Sig barrel. I have found Hornady ammunition to work very well out of .357 Sigs that I have owned and shot. I stick with the 125 grain loads since they most closely duplicate the loads of the weapons that I replaced with the .357 Sig. A lot of people will tell you to use the 147 grain loads (the "go heavy" crowd), but I have not found them to be all that accurate, nor do I see any advantage over the 150 gr .40 S&W loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Our carry gun is always a balancing act, and the axiom has always held true since the Old West: "Beware the Man that only carries one gun." In this day and age, this could effectively be modified to one gun model, as most of us at some point in time carry backups. However, the balancing act some of us put on is not the same as the rest of the shooters out there; i.e. not all factors are the same for every shooter. As an example, shooters in the Northeast may be dealing with a target in extremely heavy clothing that have actually been PROVEN to stop std velocity 9mm and .38 rounds at times. However, if you are living in the Southwest, you may never have a target in more than one layer of heavy cotton. But penetration can become an issue in some shooting situations and cars and car glass are a definite possibility. Each shooter needs to be sure his round and gun can handle a multitude of penetration scenarios should he ever be forced behind cover.

Shooters with average hands may find the double-column of smaller caliber .357Sig rounds easier to both hold and hide than .40 or .45. Both larger calibers tend to be built on larger frames and some people find them harder to hold in their hand and/or conceal. There is also the issue of a flatter-shooting round if you are a laser user. Since a laser is perfectly flat, the faster the round travels, the closer the bullet trajectory comes to the visual line of the laser and therefore the more accurate the laser becomes at ALL ranges. Instead of lobbing slower, heavier rounds that rises high off of the laser and then crosses the aim point and falls quickly, a fast round stays flatter and therefore is closer to the laser's point-of-aim through the entire flight, increasing your chance to hit and lessening your liability of a missed shot. Yes, you could conceivably argue in court that your faster ammo was matched to your laser to be SAFER!

The links I put up earlier in this thread already show that the FBI testing show the .357Sig round to dump more energy than the ballistic gelatin shows. However, since most frangible and HP rounds need 1,000 fps when they reach the target to effectively expand, this is another area where the .357Sig would be more likely to have performance instead of duds. Bullet manufacturers are improving rounds every day and newer rounds are reacting at slower speeds now, but the faster the bullet is moving when it hits the target, the better chance it has to react with the target. All of this in a high quality gun/round package that has a recoil pulse only slightly more than a 9mm.

I like the lower recoil, easier concealability, and higher capacity than the .40 and .45 since I also get the same ballistic performance as those rounds. I don't feel like I have compromised by carrying the .357Sig - I actually feel like I have made my carry gun easier to shoot and conceal with the same punch!

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    .45! No, 10mm. Hell no, idiot, 9mm. Geez, .40 rules. BS, bigger holes. Wrong, deeper holes. 9mm! No, .40. No, .357sig. What, what about the .40? .45 .357 .40 9mm.

C'mon, another one of these threads?
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40:214282
    .45! No, 10mm. Hell no, idiot, 9mm. Geez, .40 rules. BS, bigger holes. Wrong, deeper holes. 9mm! No, .40. No, .357sig. What, what about the .40? .45 .357 .40 9mm.

C'mon, another one of these threads?
    Don't like it? Don't read it. Nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to click on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IChangIT:211388
    Thanks for the info. Just got the Sig P250 compact in 40sw with the 357sig barrel. Be testing both out next week. Bit of trouble finding bulk 357sig in decent price. What is the average price for them and any more suggestions on good online stores? Thanks.
    Cheaper than dirt has 357 sig American eagle for $18.09 box of 50.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast