Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

1. Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

I am considering buying a .357 Sig barrel for my Sig 229 40 caliber handgun.
    I have talked to a few LEO friends and they are divided as far as with
    good shot placrment which caliber would incapacitate the fastest.
    The .357 Sig would be for self-defense and the 40 caliber would be used for target practice.

(1) Does anyone have info on the .357 Sig street perforance?

(2) What caliber do you like?

3. Well, either are fine if you use JHPs as defense loads. Check out about getting some if you don't have any already. Now of course I have always been told, go with what you are more comfortable with and for me, .45 ACP in 185gr Hornady Crit Defense JHPs in my Glock 21 do just fine.

I have read nearly everything that Evan Marshall has written, and the conclusion that I have come to is that, using modern high quality self defense ammunition, there is little difference between the stopping potential of any of the service calibers. As to which I prefer, I like the recoil profile of the .357 Sig and I like the feeding characteristics of the bottle necked cartridge. I think about the best weapon out there is my son's Generation 4 Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf .357 Sig barrel. I took this out to test it the other day, and it is faster to get on target for repeat shots than any .40 that I have shot. I do not shoot very well with this pistol when the .40S&W barrel is installed.

This is what I've read. The .357 Sig was named after the .357 magnum because it has similar terminal ballistics. As well as share similar pressure loads with the magnum. Its supposed to shoot flatter and a faster FPS than the .40. I've shot it in a glock 31 and it was lighter in recoil than the .40. Even similar to that of a 9mm. But it also had a brighter muzzel flash. I've read that the LEO agencies that use it enjoy a good success rate. But it is more expensive. For me personally, I don't feel that there are enough positives to persuade me to switch to it.

No magic about calibers.

It's where you hit 'em that counts far more than what you hit them with!

It like stopping a car. You either kill the electric system, or drain the fuel.

-Doc

High quality ammo with good ballistics always gives you more opportunity to put down your target, living or otherwise. Larger calibers are more forgiving with lack luster accuracy. Not everybody can be a deadeye. When its time to pull the trigger I'll take any advantages I can get.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Horkos View Post
    This is what I've read. The .357 Sig was named after the .357 magnum because it has similar terminal ballistics.
    Actually, no, it wasn't.

It's named .357 Sig because it's a .40S&W that's been necked down to take a 9mm (.355-.356 diameter) bullet and Sig Sauer were the ones that developed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452:210178
    Quote Originally Posted by Horkos View Post
    This is what I've read. The .357 Sig was named after the .357 magnum because it has similar terminal ballistics.
    Actually, no, it wasn't.

It's named .357 Sig because it's a .40S&W that's been necked down to take a 9mm (.355-.356 diameter) bullet and Sig Sauer were the ones that developed it.
    Actually your both partally correct. It was developed by sig sauer and federal catridge to duplicate the termunal ballistics of the 125 gr 357 magnum. And it is very, very close at about 1405 fps and 506 ft per lb of energy.
    Great sd pistol catridge imho. that's what i use in my m&p for sd.

Actually.......

Thumbs up Surprising .357 Sig Advantage

There are some truths about the ballistics testing of the .357 Sig that make it slightly better than the .40. You can find the data here. You can also find all of the FBI testing data and further information on the .357 Sig on the Home Page at the top of the link above.

This is not my link, just passing on the information that I found when I researched it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast