Shot my first reloads today! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot my first reloads today!

Congrats on the first load! I have been loading for my 45 and 380 for about 6 months now and it is very addicting! I find myself wanting more guns and more calibers just to load the shells lol.

Anyway, I have the Lee classic turret with the same powder measure. I have yet to get an accurate load as to what the manual says it should be for a certain powder. But what I do is as mentioned about find the disk that gets me close. Usually the measure is under what it should be so I move up. The tends to put me .1-.2 over. Which is fine because I am not making loads to the max, I tend to stay in the middle. I tried a few hot loads and they just did not feel as accurate with my pistol. Even though it does not put out the load the manual says it is consistent every time with what it gives.

Its all a science that you have hundreds of variables, bullet weight, bullet type, powder weight, powder type. Find what works best for YOUR gun. It may take some time but its like makin babies...half the fun is trying right?
    Be cool and eat fruit!

3. Congratulations on getting started with reloading - it is really cool to shoot your own loads for the first time...
    I got started reloading about a year ago - my wife and I got involved in Cowboy Action Shooting and for as much ammo as we use - reloading is the only way to go...

You've already gotten some great advice - but I thought I'd throw in some of my personal experience for you to consider as well.

I know you said that you tried the dryer sheet method and pencil lead on the disk - but ultimately I found that the 2 different Lee powder measures I've used seemed to do best after I'd run about a full hopper worth of powder through them. I guess the powder itself acts as a dry lubricant...

Another thing I've found is the issue may not be the powder drop - it could be your scale. I purchased an MTM Digital powder scale and I found that for the most consistent readings I need to let the scale "warm up" for a few minutes.
    Also, I've found that the placement of my powder pan on the surface of the scale can have an effect on the reading. I can do a powder drop into a case, dump the powder into the pan (which is resting on the scale, zeroed for tare) and get my reading. Then if I lift the pan from the scale and place it more to the left or right side of the scale - my reading can vary by a couple of tenths of a grain.
    So just like being consistent with your motions while cycling the press - being consistent with your measuring techniques is also important.

I hope this helps a little.

Enjoy your reloading hobby (and the fact that it can help you enjoy your shooting hobby more often) and be safe.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow68 View Post
    Congratulations on getting started with reloading - it is really cool to shoot your own loads for the first time...
    I got started reloading about a year ago - my wife and I got involved in Cowboy Action Shooting and for as much ammo as we use - reloading is the only way to go...

You've already gotten some great advice - but I thought I'd throw in some of my personal experience for you to consider as well.

I know you said that you tried the dryer sheet method and pencil lead on the disk - but ultimately I found that the 2 different Lee powder measures I've used seemed to do best after I'd run about a full hopper worth of powder through them. I guess the powder itself acts as a dry lubricant...

Another thing I've found is the issue may not be the powder drop - it could be your scale. I purchased an MTM Digital powder scale and I found that for the most consistent readings I need to let the scale "warm up" for a few minutes.
    Also, I've found that the placement of my powder pan on the surface of the scale can have an effect on the reading. I can do a powder drop into a case, dump the powder into the pan (which is resting on the scale, zeroed for tare) and get my reading. Then if I lift the pan from the scale and place it more to the left or right side of the scale - my reading can vary by a couple of tenths of a grain.
    So just like being consistent with your motions while cycling the press - being consistent with your measuring techniques is also important.

I hope this helps a little.

Enjoy your reloading hobby (and the fact that it can help you enjoy your shooting hobby more often) and be safe.
    ...Being consistant with the way you use your scale. See, it's help like this that makes me glad I found this forum. Thanx Shadow68.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12