Thinking about getting into reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting into reloading

Thinking about getting into reloading

I've been looking at the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP. Is anyone using it? What are the thoughts?

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    I have a lock-n-load classic press/kit from Hornady. Wanna hear (read) something funny or sad, depending on your point of view? I haven't used it yet. I have powder, bullets, brass, primers, several reloading handbooks, dies and all supplies needed to reload .40 and .223. It's mounted down in my man-cave. I bought it all so I'd have it to pass on to the kids if it comes to the point that it's the only way to obtain reliable ammo.

Soooo, I need to start learning to reload, and to practice so I can develop the skill in order to pass it on. The problem? I'm a lazy sumbitch.

...So I guess I don't have any useful thoughts for you after all. My bad.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I don't have that one, but I have heard good things about it. I have a LEE anniversary single stage. It is slow but very reliable.

Psalm 82:3-5

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam2Taz View Post
    I don't have that one, but I have heard good things about it. I have a LEE anniversary single stage. It is slow but very reliable.
    My daughters fiance has a Lee press and swears by it. "Reliable" is the important word up there, right? :-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

6. As I've said before, I don't recommend starting out with a complicated multi functioning machine. In the begining, you need to follow the process one step at a time until familiar with how it all works. Reloading is not for the sloppy or careless individuals and requires focus and attention for reliable and safe ammo.

Is the a reloading book for dummies?? or do they come with one?? Or a link somewhere??

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    Is the a reloading book for dummies?? or do they come with one?? Or a link somewhere??
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

It is a complicated process when you first start. But once you start the addiction you will find yourself asking, Do you reload to shoot or do you shoot to reload?
    Be cool and eat fruit!

9. Hello...new member and first post.

I have been running the Hornady LnL progressive for a couple of years now. I have run several thousand 9 and 10 mm with no issues. The press has been very reliable and easy to use. It takes a little time to get set up but once done I average about 400 rounds per hour. I think I could push it up another 100 if I tried.

This was my 1st press when I decided to start reloading and I have no regrets. You will also need a good scale ( I prefer digital ) and a good manual. I have the Hornady reloading manual but also bought a loadbooks USA for both calibers that contain data from all the major powder and bullet companys. I do tend to use the Hornady data more than the others though.

where is the best placed online to look for supplies? we are wanting to start reloading. i have a .380 and my husband a .45. does anyone know about the cost effectiveness of reloading for .380. he believes his calculations may be off.

Quote Originally Posted by wa5emt View Post
    where is the best placed online to look for supplies? we are wanting to start reloading. i have a .380 and my husband a .45. does anyone know about the cost effectiveness of reloading for .380. he believes his calculations may be off.
    I buy the majority of my reloading equipment from Midway USA, , powder and primers I buy local so I don't have to pay hazmat shipping fee's.

Keep in mind your start up costs before anything. It is not a fast money saver. The more you shoot the more you save.

The loads I run for 45 are at 55% savings, 380 is at 60% savings. Both of which I use Berry's plated bullets. You can go much cheaper using lead and even cheaper if you cast your own.
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast