Does ammo matter in a court case
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does ammo matter in a court case

1. Does ammo matter in a court case

I was wondering if you had to use deadly force in a home invasion would the ammo you used matter (legally), for instance if you used Hornady's zombie load would the prosecution's defense be that that ammo was only intended for zombies .

3. Anything can and will be used against you in a court of law.

A lawyer will try to find any reason they can to win their case. Whether it's ammo, the weapon, the clothes you wear, or a forum you joined. If they can use it against you they will try to win.
    I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. For legal advice ask a lawyer.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Those who accept second best must learn to live with mediocrity. - pafindr

4. Anything to make you look unstable or criminally inclined. Use standard hollowpoint or self defense loads for legality sake.ianal ymmv

There's been another recent discussion thread on this topic. Here's what I posted then:

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch:238307
    Seriously, though, think about this:

Sure, its great as a novelty item. Heck, its on my Christmas list! And it would probably work splendidly as a self defense ammo.

But would you REALLY want to be on the stand as a defendant in a homicide case, trying to justify Zombie Max as your self defense ammo if choice? That, in itself, would be the stuff of nightmares. A prosecutor would have a field day with you, tearing down your image as a responsible, sensible, gun owner. Plus, good luck finding a law enforcemwnt agency that equips its officers with the same ammo to cite as a basis for your choice.

Hate to be the untra-sensible party pooper, but although you may find Zombie Max proudly displayed amongst other curios in my home, you'll never find it in my guns.

Everyone says these things, but I have NEVER heard a verified court case.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by mandoguy View Post
    I was wondering if you had to use deadly force in a home invasion would the ammo you used matter (legally), for instance if you used Hornady's zombie load would the prosecution's defense be that that ammo was only intended for zombies .
    I am the admitted smart butt in the crowd but, the fact that you used ANY ammunition, in the eye of a majority of district attorneys is enough to get you prosecuted to the max.

If your home state doesn't have the "castle doctrine" in effect and it is your duty to retreat in an encounter, it doesn't matter what ammo you use. But a DA that goes after someone on the premise that a particular ammunition is only for use against Zombies can kiss his career good bye!

Did you see the video for the Zombie Max? It is very good.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoguy View Post
    I am the admitted smart butt in the crowd but, the fact that you used ANY ammunition, in the eye of a majority of district attorneys is enough to get you prosecuted to the max.

If your home state doesn't have the "castle doctrine" in effect and it is your duty to retreat in an encounter, it doesn't matter what ammo you use. But a DA that goes after someone on the premise that a particular ammunition is only for use against Zombies can kiss his career good bye!

That having been said, there was quite a ruckus in the courts when "dum-dum" ammunition was introduced to the general public. The argument was, the use of hollow point ammunition (dum-dum) was banned by the Geneva Convention as a military load and therefore should be banned for 'home use' or sale to the general public.

I don't have any facts to back it up, but I would imagine some overly zealous DA prosecuted cases involving that ammunition with a vengeance.

Did you see the video for the Zombie Max? It is very good.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

9. Wink What ammo should be used.

Quote Originally Posted by eXGee11 View Post
    Anything to make you look unstable or criminally inclined. Use standard hollowpoint or self defense loads for legality sake.ianal ymmv
    The best way to protect yourself in a court of law is to find out the preferred ammo of the local police departments. If you state in court that you are 'only using the same ammunition that the local police are using. If it is good enough for them, isn't it good for me to use as well?' What prosecutor could win an arguemen against that?

Quote Originally Posted by eXGee11 View Post
    Anything to make you look unstable or criminally inclined. Use standard hollowpoint or self defense loads for legality sake.ianal ymmv
    YMMV in some states as to the hollow points. Some states ban them. I.E. NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Everyone says these things, but I have NEVER heard a verified court case.

-Doc
    Harold Fish Defense

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast