Does TulAmmo use corrosive primers? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does TulAmmo use corrosive primers?

Just checking in to see what I may. I read in Guns and Ammo a response to a question of the older steel and other Russian ammo. Their post was the jury is still out and it appears to be question of taste and economics. The question was asked by me of Armalite a few years back, the tears on the letter were from their laughing so hard I think, the response was something to the effect of it is worse than crap and if I use it don’t use their AR, send it back and buy an S.K.S. ( Most of the preceding was tongue ‘n cheek, Armalite did respond to the email I sent, and did state any other than their perceived Premium Brand ammo was not worth using, so, f.y.i.).

3. Beware TulAmmo

I recently made the mistake of purchasing two boxes of 380 TulAmmo at WalMart for practice ammo. 50% of the ammo would not fire in my little 380 all the failure to fire ammo had a destinct strike mark on the primer but would not fire. The only thing I can use this for is to practice failure drills because half of it fails. What a waste of money. I will stick to Federal from here on out.

4. I have seen problems with the AR platform in .223 not cycling rounds. However I have never had a problem in my 1911, .45ACP.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Non-corrosive.

Be careful, some indoor ranges won't let you shoot these because the projectile is jacketed with copper washed steel.

-Doc
    My ranges will test with a magnet and they were not concerned. They're usually looking for penatration rounds, which the basic .223 Tula is not.

6. DPMS only mentions steel-jacketed Russian rounds in the context of the coating on the shells which melts at high temperature and can foul the chamber. Apparently once the coating recools on the surfaces it's nearly impossible to get out. Ammunitions Warning :

"1.Lacquer Coated Ammunition or Steel-cased, lacquer coated ammunition
    2.Wolf
    3.Norinco
    4.Silver Bear
    5.Any steel-cased (coated or non-coated) ammunition

The problem with this ammunition is that the lacquer coating on the case. As the barrel heats up, the lacquer turns to a soft, varnish substance and upon cool down, becomes very solid and difficult to remove. This effectively creates an undersized chamber and creates understandable problems."

Quote Originally Posted by Kcurtisjr View Post
    I have seen problems with the AR platform in .223 not cycling rounds. However I have never had a problem in my 1911, .45ACP.
    Must be your brand of AR.
    I have a friend that shoots STAG AR-15 and over 2000+ rounds, no issues when shot normally...he likes to bump firing ;-)
    However my DPMS AR-10 (LR-308) sometimes complains about steel case (Tula, Wolf, Bear).
    Warranty is long over, need to show it who's boss or trade it.

The way I figure it, if I am in desperate need of ammo, I'm not passing up anything and my gun better take it.
    Maybe that's why I favor SKSs and AKs than the AR platforms.

OP: No, most new production Russian made steel case ammo is not corrosive... at least not by Russian standards anyway.

I use Tulammo and Bear as the primary cartridge for my AKs and SKSs, I use it in my Kel-Tec SU16 as well. I don't use it in my auto pistols, M1 Carbine, or 1927A1 Thompson. I have NEVER had an issue in my AKs and SKSs! EVER. I had a few FtF with my SU16 when shooting both XM193 and Tula/Bear the same day... didn't suprise me. The SU16 has a tighter chamber than the AK or SKS, the steel case doesn't expand as much as brass so more carbon builds up... then you shoot brass that does expand and it may get itself stuck. No big deal for target practice, just rack it and go...

I have heard of folks with ARs that shoot nothing but steel case Russian ammo... and I've heard folks that have nothing but problems... know your weapon and use ammo accordingly. My M1 Carbine dislikes steel case, so I don't use it. I don't give a crap about it being dirty... clean the guns. In fact, I don't clean my AKs and SKSs... not often anyway. I've put about 1000rds through my favorite AK without cleaning, it doesn't care... it's an AK! Same for the SKS, it's Russian and was designed to be used with cheap, dirty steel case. Hell, they were even designed to be used with corrosive ammo!

Some weapons function fine with polymer, lacquer, nickel, and copper coated/washed ammo, others not so much. The only way to know for sure is to try it out! It's tough to beat the amount of rounds I can store for the price when buying Russian steel case... or Romanian steel surplus ;)

If you've got the budget to use only brass, go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I clean my guns on the 29th 0f February!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123