wolf ammunition - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wolf ammunition

If you are reloading just a couple calibers then you don't need much room. I've known people that used a spare closet to reload in. Like you said, try to find someone that reloads and give it a try...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I am not trying to push you into something you don't want to do, but there is really not much to reloading. I started a thread about the basic steps of reloading if you haven't read it.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276

Also my wife and I got my dad a reloading for Christmas. It was a little over $100. He attached his press and powder measurer to a 2x6 he then clamps that to some sort of bench. It's FUN.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

thanks everyone for your replies. reloading would be cool to get into.

no one said anything however about the new polymer coated wolf ammo. should I take that to mean that wolf is just crap no matter what it's coated in?
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Wolf is good ammunition if you're simply chucking lead down range. I work at an indoor range where we use Wolf .45 ACP in our rental Glock 21 pistols. We retire the guns after around 10k rounds. At around the 9k round point, the slide slide begins to show excessive wear around the hole where the striker comes through. Between the 9.5k and 10k round point, the slide either cracks or gets too rounded out to be considered "safe". I've replaced chipped extractors on a few guns at around the 5K round point. The extractor is a fairly inexpensive part and only takes me a few minutes to replace.

We have a couple of other models chambered in .45 ACP that show the same wear. A Sig GSR was recently retired after 1,100 rounds due to a cracked slide.

If you're going to be shooting an extremely high amount of rounds in a very short time, then I would recommend staying away from Wolf ammunition. We use it for our rental guns due to the low cost. The money we save on ammo justifies replacing the rental guns after shooting 9k to 10k rounds. Most of the customers are tourists paying for various package deals that we offer. For personal use, Wolf ammunition might not be the best solution.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Wolf is good ammunition if you're simply chucking lead down range. I work at an indoor range where we use Wolf .45 ACP in our rental Glock 21 pistols. We retire the guns after around 10k rounds. At around the 9k round point, the slide slide begins to show excessive wear around the hole where the striker comes through. Between the 9.5k and 10k round point, the slide either cracks or gets too rounded out to be considered "safe". I've replaced chipped extractors on a few guns at around the 5K round point. The extractor is a fairly inexpensive part and only takes me a few minutes to replace.

We have a couple of other models chambered in .45 ACP that show the same wear. A Sig GSR was recently retired after 1,100 rounds due to a cracked slide.

If you're going to be shooting an extremely high amount of rounds in a very short time, then I would recommend staying away from Wolf ammunition. We use it for our rental guns due to the low cost. The money we save on ammo justifies replacing the rental guns after shooting 9k to 10k rounds. Most of the customers are tourists paying for various package deals that we offer. For personal use, Wolf ammunition might not be the best solution.

gf
    good info... thanks for the post.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

I'll give you $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    ...We retire the guns after around 10k rounds...
    gf
    Let me know when you're retiring your Glocks. I'll give you a couple of bucks for a 21 with 10k through it.

My 26 has >15k through it. Of that, 40% Wolf, 40% WWB and UMC, and the remaining 20% Blazer/reloads/other assorted factory ammo. No problems.

I started using Wolf 115gr FMJ for IDPA. It is very accurate ammunition and I don't worry about other people rangering up (stealing) all my fired brass. I shoot good stuff on other days when I can spend soem time to round up my own brass.

boyzoi Guest

variety

I've tried lots of different brands of ammunition....mag-tech, federal , double-tap etc for a variety of different guns, but have stayed away from the Wolf because of the reviews on serveral different sites. over 90%+ all say its dirty and I just dont want to shoot dirty ammo. if its dirty its causing a higher level of wear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12