Winchester Ranger 40 S&W

Thread: Winchester Ranger 40 S&W

Talking Winchester Ranger 40 S&W

Just bought some Winchester Ranger 155 Gr. JHP at the Eglin AFB BX. Two shocking things stood out about this purchase. The BX is selling guns and ammo...(Yahoo!!!!) & This ammo is labeled Law Enforcement Ammunition.
    This is not +p or +p+ but does have the SXT bullet that used to be called the Black Talon. It was only $16.09 for a box of 50 and you don't pay any sales tax at the BX. If any of you have used these before, please sound off. If this is better than the Remington JHP sold in boxes of 100 each, I'll be stocking up over time. I don't have the funds to test a bunch of different rounds and tend to sit on what I have for at least a year before rotating stock from defense duty to range fodder. This keeps my ammo reliable and fresh without breaking the bank. It also allows me to practice with my carry ammo from time to time so I know what to expect from it.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

In my experience with Ranger, it is quality stuff. It came highly recommended from my CHL instructor. Winchester puts out good ammo, from what I've seen. Never had a problem with any of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

I've used

Winchester Ranger ammo in 40 S&W in the past. It's good ammo. My first choice is sill Gold Dots but on a budget I'd be happy with the Ranger.

Joe

Ranger back ground.

I can find these at the MCX here in Norfolk as well. I've fired 1200 of these and have not had a failure, however I have not had to use these ITS. I have had to use Gold Dots and I will tell you it's a one shot one stop instant reaction with these.

Here is link for the background info on the Ranger round. It's an SXT (Supreme Expansion Technology) bullet by Winchester. If price is problem I would try to save for some reloading equipment and make some Hornady 180 gr XTP rounds. You can make approximatley 100 rds for what you for a box of 50 Rangers.

Just my 2 cents.

Here's the link. If you need any help let me know.

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/td...nger_Talon_LEO

Jim

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/td...nger_Talon_LEO
    Jim
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

Too bad they stopped making it for the 10mm. I still have a box of the old "Black Talon" ammo in 10mm Auto, 200gr.

Just an FYI. The Ranger 155 grain is only a conventional hollow point it is not a "T" series bullet with the reverse tapered 6 talon jacket .

If you want the Talon you have to get the RA40TA (165g) or the RA40T (180g). You can p/u these on gunbroker.com

The RA40TA 165 grain "talon" is the one I use.

Ranger Conventional Handgun
    Q4348
    RA38110HP
    RA40155HP
    RA40180HP
    RA9115HP+
    RA9124N
    RA9147FM
    RA9MMJHP
    [Back to top]

Ranger T Series Handgun
    RA357SIGT revised
    RA380T
    RA40T
    RA40TA
    RA45T
    RA45TP
    RA9124TP
    RA9T
    RA9TA
    [Back to top]

Symbol: RA40TA – Winchester Ranger ‘T’ Series

Shellcase: 40 S&W nickel plated brass shellcase

Bullet: 165 grain (10.7 gram) reverse tapered jacket with six “talon” design

Diameter: .400 inch (10.16 mm)
    Last edited by super_tech; 01-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Winchester Rangers, regardless of the weight, are all good.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I have some original Winchester Black Talon in 9mm, .357 magnum and .45 ACP. I probably will be getting some of the newer Ranger later. It is not difficult to obtain through Internet vendors. Your price at a base PX is very good.

The issue with the original Black Talon is the jacket would typically separate from the core. I have verified this by shooting some rounds in to water filled gallon milk jugs. There is also some reviews of the original Black Talon with this behavior as well. The media did us a favor with the hype and getting the original Black Talon pulled off the shelves as the bullet was redesigned in the process.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...