9 MM ammo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 MM ammo

9 MM ammo

Been looking for a small gun to carry since I retired (LEO). Carried a G27 on/off duty and also 1911. Picked up a new SIG SAUER P938 and would like some input on a good 9 MM hollow point. Thanks.

I would reccomeds you stick with the 124grn +p rounds.
    Some good choices are, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, HST and Ranger ammo.
    Just make sure to run a couple of boxes through your gun to ensure reliable feeding and so forth.

I agree with the above post although I've also shot lighter loads with success in my carry weapons. Try various weights to see what works reliably and accurately with your pistol. I've had the best luck with Remington Golden Saber 124 gr. +P BJHP's in my S&W Shield and S&W M&P9c but that doesn't mean they will work for you. Good luck...and enjoy the range time with the various loads, it's a fun day trying to see what works well and what doesn't.

Remington Golden Sabers in any caliber are all I carry. The best ammo you can carry, in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Agree... there's a (master) list of self-defense ammo for all the various calibers out on the interwebs. Search "best self defense ammo ar15" (it's hosted on an ar-15 forum). That's how I always find it. I've heard just choose from the list and you're GTG. I try to find and carry HST, GD, or Rangers. Hard because it's all LE ammo, and from what I've read, the companies don't sell direct to public/civilian suppliers (per policy). I managed to find some 9mm 124gr (+P) and 45ACP 230gr HSTs online recently, but it's definitely not been easy. Most places are back ordered for who knows how long.

As for your particular carry weapon... definitely agree with above as far as running enough through to make sure your weapon likes to feed/fire/eject it. I don't make a habit of running hundreds of rounds through, but I'll run some full mags through. For example, if I carry my 45, I have a 9rd mag loaded and two spare 13rd mags. I'll run all three full mags through (without failure) before I carry them loaded with my chosen carry ammo. Ammo and mags are the two common causes of failure. Make sure the whole system works before trusting it.

7. Can you even find ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper 30-30 View Post
    Been looking for a small gun to carry since I retired (LEO). Carried a G27 on/off duty and also 1911. Picked up a new SIG SAUER P938 and would like some input on a good 9 MM hollow point. Thanks.
    I carry a combo of (different guns) Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dots.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Can you even find ammo?
    SD ammo is still typically in stock most places due to the price of it.

9 MM ammo

Hornady Zombie Max. Just in case. ;)

10. Love my M&P9c it eats everything without malfunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49417 View Post
    Hornady Zombie Max. Just in case. ;)
    Dumbest product in the world. It's just V-max with a green tip and a 20% markup.

I carry PDX1 or Hydrashock in .40. I don't carry a 9mm but I'm not usually a fan of +p. I feel the recoil increases far faster than the power of the round does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast