Winchester ammo.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester ammo.

Winchester ammo.

I am looking at picking up 100 rounds of winchester ammo and i need some help. One, what one should i buy? They have the 147 and 115 or 125 i cant remember off the top of my head. I am talking about JHP not FMJ. Second is walmart a good place to buy ammo other then the price? Some people have told me walmarts ammo sucks so thats why i ask.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

3. There is somehow this misconception that the Winchester White Box ammo that Wallyworld sells is somehow seconds. This is not true.

They are able to sell at the prices they do, because they are one of the largest retailers with incredible volume.

I use the White Box for range visits and have never had a problem with it.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

4. I use white box in my M&P 40c with no problems at all. I donít buy ammo from Wallyworld for the fact that they ask questions on the use I just feel they donít need to know.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberRB View Post
    I use white box in my M&P 40c with no problems at all. I donít buy ammo from Wallyworld for the fact that they ask questions on the use I just feel they donít need to know.
    Just tell them you are going to shoot it. What else do they think you would do with it? Eat it?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

6. Quote Originally Posted by KimberRB View Post
    I use white box in my M&P 40c with no problems at all. I donít buy ammo from Wallyworld for the fact that they ask questions on the use I just feel they donít need to know.
    Interesting. I have never been asked any questions. What do they ask?
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

Yeah why do they ask you? They never ask me. Would you use the white box for CC ammo or no? Also 115 or 147 G? What do you think of 9mm Federal Hydra Shok 124 Grain JHP? I want to get some but i have only found sites that sell it in box's of 20 for 20 dollars. OK this one may make me seem like a dumb ass but as i said before i have no idea about hand gun ammo. What does it mean when the ammo says (+P+)?

Winchester ammo is just that, No matter where you buy it........... Winchester ammo is all I shoot,,,,
    Glock Carrier in SC.

MufDady

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I am looking at picking up 100 rounds of winchester ammo and i need some help. One, what one should i buy? They have the 147 and 115 or 125 i cant remember off the top of my head. I am talking about JHP not FMJ. Second is walmart a good place to buy ammo other then the price? Some people have told me walmarts ammo sucks so thats why i ask.
    Winchester whitebox is the most economical factory ammunition you can buy. It's easy to get through the Walmarts in the more 2A friendly jurisdictions. There's no quality difference between Walmart ammo and the same ammo bought elsewhere. I believe Walmart has a bulk purchase agreement with the ammo makers they stock which is why it costs less.

The personal protection loads are another story. The stock Walmart has for those greatly varies. According to the Winchester site, they don't make a personal protection round in 125 grain. They do have the Ranger in 124 and 127 grain which is sold as a LEO round. I would not carry Rangers in +P unless you have a steel framed pistol because of the wear and tear it will put on the firearm.

It is available for sale to civilians through some Internet resellers and gun stores, it would not be on the shelf at WalMart. In the more 2A friendly States, you'll probably see a better selection. In the lesser 2A friendly States, you'll see a poorer selection.

As for which one to get. Depends on what is more reliable through your firearm. There has been some controversy between the 115 and 147 grain 9mm rounds. I have carried Winchester Silvertips in either 115 grain or 147 grain. I opt for the 115 grain during the hotter times of the year. The 147 grain when it is a little cooler. My rationale is the 147 grain bullet is more likely to penetrate and expand with slightly heavier clothing.
    Last edited by netentity; 08-21-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

The ranger STX is the black talon round just not black is what i have been told. Cheaper then dirt sells them to any one at a nice price. About the Winchester CC ammo i know they don't make Ammo for CC i was talking about the 125 target ammo in the white box at walmart. Some have told me to get the max Grain for my cal ( 147) thats what the CC guide says. So whats a good CC ammo that can be picked up at most any gun store? keep in mind i live in NH and there is no laws on any ammo. So any thing goes.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    The ranger STX is the black talon round just not black is what i have been told. Cheaper then dirt sells them to any one at a nice price. About the Winchester CC ammo i know they don't make Ammo for CC i was talking about the 125 target ammo in the white box at walmart. Some have told me to get the max Grain for my cal ( 147) thats what the CC guide says. So whats a good CC ammo that can be picked up at most any gun store? keep in mind i live in NH and there is no laws on any ammo. So any thing goes.
    Yes, the Winchester Ranger SXT is just a rebranding of the Black Talon round and was designated a LEO round. This was because of the media pressure associated with the original Black Talon Round.

I don't know what the gun stores in your area stock. The trade off between the 115 and 147 grain is the speed of the round. Virtually all 9mm 147 grain rounds are subsonic. The hot Cor-Bon round is a 90, 115 or 125 grain bullet. That's the only safe way to get +P+ out of a 9mm round and keep within the SAAMI pressure specs.

Here's what I would carry in 9mm 147 grain;

Hornady XTP
    Remington Golden Saber
    Winchester Silvertips, been around for years. My generally preferred personal protection round.

CCI/Speer has the Gold Dot. Federal has 147 grain Hydra-Shoks. Never used either of them.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast