Can't find answer to this either: +p 380 auto
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't find answer to this either: +p 380 auto

1. Red face Can't find answer to this either: +p 380 auto

I can't figure this out. I need a "gun sensei" to teach me some stuff.

I'm looking for ammo on line for my sig p238. I see a place that has 100gr tmj, good price. Marked as new, not reloads. Since most of what I've seen is 90grains(have also seen 85 and 95), not sure what constitutes +p.

Not to mention that I've seen a few sites where it is mentioned that there is no designation for +p for 380 auto. I'm just trying to buy ammo that won't hurt my gun! Maybe I have information overload and nobody to help me sort it out. I was told not to use +p in this weapon, and I don't want to damage my new baby.

3. 85, 90 and 95 grain ammo are differing masses of the bullet. +P refers to the pressure when the round is fired. I don't know whether or not .380 comes in a +P , but calibers that do
    come in a +P will be designated on the head stamp.

4. As far as I know SAAMI lists pressure tolerances for various calibers and lists what is considered standard pressure, +P, and +P+. From what I've come to understand, there is no listing for a +P loading of 380ACP ammo. Anyone advertising such may be loading to the high end of normal, or overloading. Either way it sounds like misrepresentation at best and dangerous practice at worse. I'd stay away from it.

^^ what www315 said

Also to add, there are NO SAAMI specs for the .380 +p, therefore no one will ever "recommend" them since they could all have differing pressures. I personally, for defensive loads, use Speer Gold Dot. Here's the specs on what I use:
    Detail Page for Part # 23606

I hope this information helps and doesn't put you in complete information overload meltdown. :)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

As has been said, there is no official .380 +P. I imagine much of this stems from most pistols in this caliber using a blowback setup. Wouldn't be the safest or friendliest round to fire. For my S&W Bodyguard, I use Hornady Critical Defense as testing has shown it performs admirably. Not looking to begin a debate on ammo; just my personal choice. For practice it's American Eagle or Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by www315 View Post
    85, 90 and 95 grain ammo are differing masses of the bullet. +P refers to the pressure when the round is fired. I don't know whether or not .380 comes in a +P , but calibers that do
    come in a +P will be designated on the head stamp.
    This is correct. Do not use +p ammo in your gun unless it is +p rated. +p ammo creates higher chamber pressures (and thus higher energies than "normal" rounds of the same caliber) that could damage your firearm and/or injure you.
    I was unable to find anything that said the Sig P238 is rated for a +p round.

Can't find answer to this either: +p 380 auto

Others have covered the technical info. Idk why you'd want +p 380 anyways. If you need more stopping power for a defensive load it's time to move up to the 9mm. Other than that +p doesn't make very good range ammo, and in a direct blowback operated weapon could be very dangerous. Especially since there is no SAAMI rating, the pressures can range extensively.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Others have covered the technical info. Idk why you'd want +p 380 anyways. If you need more stopping power for a defensive load it's time to move up to the 9mm. Other than that +p doesn't make very good range ammo, and in a direct blowback operated weapon could be very dangerous. Especially since there is no SAAMI rating, the pressures can range extensively.

I DON"T want +p. I was told it might damage my gun. I wasn't sure whether the +p is ALWAYS marked on there, or whether I was supposed to know some other way. LIke I said....extreme noob here, and I don't really have anyone to ask questions around here. I appreciate all the info, everyone.

10. Unless the manufacturer says your gun is safe for +P loads, then it isn't safe.
    Are you simply confused thinking a heavier than normal bullet is +P or do you have some marking on the case that says +P.
    Any factory ammunition for .380 Auto will work in your gun.
    From the sounds of things, you may want to do some reading about ammunition and guns.

11. My manufacturer says not to use +p, so I was trying to avoid it. I was confused by whether +p is ALWAYS marked, or if I was supposed to know with some other stat on the box. Clearly I am knowledge deficient, this was stated early on by me. If anyone has any good reference material I would be grateful for a referral. I need something that isn't hypertechnical, much like a "Handguns and Ammo for Dummies". I don't know anybody with guns, so I have nobody to ask or talk to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast